1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Mangenious" No More

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tony Soprano annointed him "Mangenious" . At 1 and 5 and The Jets sinking fast Eric Mangini is getting closer to Rich Kotite every day.

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I agree with you, Boom. Not the biggest NFL fan in the world but I watched Eagles-Jets yesterday and couldn't figure out Mangini's play-calling. With fourth-and-1 on the Eagles' 2 and losing, 16-9, Jets go for it, which is good. But with 130-yard rusher Thomas Jones on the backfield, Mangini calls for a pass. Pennington is incomplete, Eagles take over and that's the game. TJones can fall forward for one yard, can't he? I just don't agree with the call and, while all the columnists are calling for Pennington, I blame Mangini for the call.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

He's a decent coach, but I don't think he's anything special in the coaching world and certainly not a 'genius'. I thought Crennel handled that defense in New England alot better.

4. Boom_70

2 yards are tougher that it looks. Same situation for LSU Saturday night- they ran it and did not make. Bet that was on Mangini's mind when he called for Play action.

I just think team seems very flat - no life or spirit.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Eric Mangini wasn't a genius last season and he's not clueless this year.

The Jets do not have an an offensive player who can get large chunks of yardage other than Leon Washington. Thomas Jones is a very good running back, but he's not the guy that will break off a 50 yard run. Jones wears on defenses and the clock.

The wideouts are nothing more than a collection of possession receivers. They don't have a Randy Moss or a Terrell Owens or a Marvin Harrison. They don't have Reggie Wayne or Chad Johnson; receivers who can stretch the field.

And why can't they stretch the field? Chad Pennington can't throw the football. The loss to Buffalo crystallized that. Trailing by three with ninety seconds, the Jets needed to get chunks of yardage. Instead, Pennington is throwing dumpoffs to Washington.

It's the same thing with the defense. Other than Kerry Rhodes and Jonathan Vilma and Darrelle Revis, who can force a turnover? The Jets can't rush the passer. In six games, they have recored six sacks. Only Buffalo and Carolina--four each--have fewer quarterback takedowns.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Mangini's strange loyalty to Pennington will do him in long before any other inept in-game decisions. Ray Charles could see that Pennington is no longer a NFL-caliber starting quarterback.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But they only needed one yard for the first down. And do you really think Mangini was basing his decision there on the LSU game the previous night?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mangini is loyal to Pennington because the Jets finished 10-6 and qualified for the playoffs last season. And a lot of that is due to Pennington.

But he can't move the ball downfield. Look at the Ravens game. Kellen Clemens--who doesn't have an Elway or Marino arm--was able to throw the ball 20-to-25 yards downfield. Clemens' passes had zip to them. Chad's balls just float. You can his attempts with a sun dial.

9. Boom_70

Subconciously - yes -if in fact Mangini watched LSU fail on 4th down.

One of huge Jet flaws this year is inability to run block. Jones is a runner who need stong blocking. He is not type of runner who makes things happen on his own.

Dumping Pete Kendall was a huge mistake as it now turns out. When you know a team can't pass deep and also can't run effectively it is very easy to take away the short pass.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

A lot of last year was due to an overachieving offensive line and a brutally easy schedule. This is no different than Vinny leading the Jets to the playoffs in 2001 and getting yanked after a terrible start in 2002. Exactly the same circumstances with the exception that unlike Herm Edwards, Mangini hasn't proved to be capable of making such a tough decision yet.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree on Kendall, but I think that part about the LSU game subconsciously effecting Mangini's decision on a 4th-and-1 is a Mr. Fantastic-like stretch.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

HB is correct -- Pennington is a smart QB who runs the offense well and has had great success as a starter. I'm guessing that coaches love him. We know that Clemens has a stronger arm, but we don't know if they feel comfortable with him at the helm, especially with the line playing so poorly. After the last couple of games, I'm guessing that he'll take over unless Chad really turns it around.

As to the call by the goal line, it was the 3rd down call which was the real killer. After going to the well twice on the QB sneak, they called it again and were stuffed.

Draft saved Draft deleted