1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mandatory Service for Young Adults

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Sep 6, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You don't mandate things just because they would be good for the people involved or the country as a whole.

Otherwise, we'd mandate broccoli and ban MacDonalds.

That's a recipe for losing liberty.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry, but what?

There's lots of "mandatory" stuff in American life. I used "taxes" to illustrate one example. That would include sales tax and real estate tax and state tax. Another would be your driver's license. Or a restaurant license.

There's lots of stuff in American life that's mandatory.

Including, for many, many years, a draft.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Actually the bumper stickers are going to read:

Save us, bloated government scheme!

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You know what would save the world's economy?

Get everyone to agree to stop killing each other over flags so we don't need a military.

5. YankeeFan

It was your example, so it was the one I dealt with.

As far as a driver's license goes, you don't have to get one. If you don't want to drive, it's unnecessary.

If you're talking about true, mandatory, service, there's just no way its legal. Based on what?

6. YankeeFan

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I have to have a DL if I want to drive. I have to have a liquor license if I want to dispense alcohol.

What legal footing was the draft based on?

8. YankeeFan

But I can avoid you're licensing by avoiding the activity they are required for.

Will service be required for a license to live?

I'd have to look into the draft to give you a good answer. Just being honest. But, from our nation's founding, we've called men to arms in times of war.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Freedom isn't free, Y-F.

We all have to do our part.

Truly, I don't know how I'd feel about it, but I think that if you take youngsters ages 18-25 and put them in the military or peace corps or fixing trails in a national park or whatever, most would benefit greatly from it.

10. YankeeFan

They very well might benefit from it. That's still not a good enough reason to institute it.

As to whether they would benefit, well that would probably depend on how well it was run. You're talking about building a massive program from scratch. You'd likely end up with a lot of people standing around bitching about what a waste of time the program was.

And, let's think about a couple of other things. If you're going to send kids far from home to fix a trail in a national park, you're now responsible for transporting him, housing him, feeding him, etc. That's expensive as hell.

And, is little Johny going to get to go home for Christmas to see his mommy? Are you paying for his flight? Does he get a two week vacation? Do you fly him home for that too?

In the military, they're put through an intense basic training. They're deployed -- often overseas -- for long stretches. They miss holidays at home.

People would never stand for that in a mandatory service program.

And, let's also not forget that unions aren't going to be happy with their work being done by kids in a service program.

It's a Utopian idea. It's unworkable in a country our size.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We are a country that is predicated on freedom and civil rights. YOU might think forcing people to do what you think is noble is a good idea, but that flies in the face of our Bill of Rights.

That is beside the point that such a program would turn into a corrupt monetary boondoggle in practice. History has proven that.

I respect that you chose to do time in the Peace Corps. But that was your choice. We are not a nation of slaves. We're supposed to be free people, free to live our lives as we choose, so long as we don't break laws -- which are supposed to be designed to protect the freedom and rights of others.

12. YankeeFan

Yes. Thankfully, the Constitution says what the Federal government can't do to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted