1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mandatory Service for Young Adults

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nope.

In fact, teaching and providing supervised daycare can be one of the programs.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I love ya Az, but how can any liberal support mandatory service?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You do realize that if you use Federal funds (which in our country is funded by debt, piled onto a debt load that is already pushing us past the point of comfort) that way, you you are not employing those young adults -- even if you take them off the street. They are not actual jobs being created by any demand. In the case of what Az suggested, the debt we'd accumulate paying for the two years of tuition EVERY young adult would be entitled to would be another burden along the lines of Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and the new health care bill once it gets rolling. We can't handle that debt.

As well-intentioned as some people think they are, two things you have to think about. 1) When there is that much Federal money floating out there with a mandatory mandate to spend it, the vampires who can afford the best lobbyists (or pay the greatest kickbacks) will come out of the woodwork and find ways to make sure that money doesn't get spent efficiently, or with the noble purposes you had in mind. 2) Even if the money got spent well, is the anchor these kinds of ideas put on our economy really a solution to the unemployment problem you identified, or is it a prescription for creating longer-term employment and economic problems. As exhibit A, I offer up France, which is the poster child for socialized programs (although with their economic problems, under Sarkozy, they have had to start cutting back), and at the same time most countries economies were flying high in the 1990s and early through late 2000s, had an unemployment rate that average about 10 percent per year.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Just a side question, and maybe this deserves its own thread, but: Do people like us have a place in the Peace Corps? What I mean is, I have a BA in journalism and a MA in graphic design. From a cursory look at the PC site, they have no use for somebody like me. I imagine a lot of others on this board have similar credentials.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They should be able to teach you what you need. One of my favorite John Gagliardi lines is "The military has been plucking kids off farms for years and teaching them to drive tanks and fly planes, so teaching them to play football shouldn't be that hard."

Same thing with Peace Corps, I'd guess.

Or, failing that, we could copyedit the office newsletter.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Re: Peace Corps

A degree qualifies you. They do NOT -- at least adequately -- teach you anything. My training was worthless as far as the job went. In many countries of service, your job is what you make it.

But a working in journalism can qualify you for IT, I believe, and you can always teach English. Many skills would be transferable to the community service sectors. I did youth development and qualified because of my volunteer work. I taught theater, coached a lot of basketball, taught line dance, did aerobics and taught English, mostly. Organized a library, ran camps, painted a world map, too.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A conscripted force? No thanks. I'll pass. I already have enough soldiers who don't want to be there. Save me some paperwork, please.

9. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

As a happily employed 24-year-old who actually spent college training for my current career... I say no. Not everyone 18-25 is an unemployed, unmotivated dolt.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

And not everyone who volunters or serves their country is a dolt.

11. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Not my point at all. It just seemed like everyone in the 18-25 age bracket was being broadly regarded as a problem. A lot of us are. Not all.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

To the contrary, I think people 18-25 are our best hope for solutions, and a group we should invest in.

Draft saved Draft deleted