1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mandatory Service for Young Adults

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Sep 6, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Then we are not talking about anything mandatory, which I thought was what the premise was.

It's still money we don't have. And not a role I believe government should be anchoring each of us with, monetarily. But what you described is very different. It's akin to ROTC or the GI Bill. Of course, Congress reneged on its promises with the GI Bill recently with a piece of legislation that yanked the rug out from under all these students who had served in the military and been given a promise.

We are a country whose debt load is 100 percent of our GDP. We have found all kinds of ways to spend money, to the point where we have a $3 to $4 trillion Federal budget. And with the economy in the crapper and it drastically affecting tax revenues, we have huge gaps between what we are trying to spend and what we can afford. The last thing we need is more spending ideas, in my opinion. And as the GI Bill getting smashed by Congress because of necessary budget cuts, you can reasonably guess that your idea doesn't stand a chance of seeing the light of day.

Draft saved Draft deleted