1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manchin's dilemma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 24, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think the word Patriot in the headline is meant with a certain amount of irony.

Anyway, rich people don't want to pay taxes. Rich people move to avoid paying taxes. This isn't new.

Revamping the tax code just means that the race to lower taxes will be on and eventually you'll get a country that throws up no taxes and this government, any government, can't function with no taxes.

Anyway, my personal feeling is that if a company decides to do this, then it means the company's executives and board of directors give up their American citizenships and go live in their new country.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That idea is the basis of modern politics -- across the spectrum.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Install a Patriots Tax for those corporations who flee the country. Since, after all, they are now people.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

News flash: NO ONE wants to pay taxes. This is not limited to the rich. And no, it isn't new.

The first person who can honestly tell me that you voluntarily paid more taxes than you had to and didn't do whatever you could (feasibly and legally) to lower the amount you had to pay wins a prize.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This is sort of like Jack Welch's idea that every plant be on a barge that can move to take advantage of the lowest costs. Except that with companies (including GE) bringing jobs back, they had to find something else for the barge -- now it's their profits.

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21569739-outsourcing-jobs-faraway-places-wane-will-not-solve-wests

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hell, most people (myself included) will do whatever we can to pay less, even illegally.

If you or your wife gets paid for something, and there is no record of this income being sent to the IRS . . . how many are reporting it?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Aon saved $27 million last quarter:

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Punish those traitorous bastards til it hurts. You want to do business here? Pay your damn taxes.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They gave all the savings to Man U to get on their kit for a couple of years.

10. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I say treat them like enemy combatants. Arm the damn drones, Obama!

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This being the Times and all, the headline really should have been.

Beneath a tax dodger, a Patriot.

Also, I am fine with the amount of taxes I pay. I would pay more if I felt it would be used properly, to pay for infrastructure and police and public parks or universal health care, and less on nuclear bombs and fake nation building. Taxes work really well in Denmark.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You don't trust your government?

Draft saved Draft deleted