1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mancations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The whole "scrapbooking" phenomenon is something I've never understood.

I listen to radio commercials and watch television commercials where men take shot after shot after shot for golfing and watching football. If we ever decide to fight back, it begins with "scrapbooking." As soon as I find out exactly what it entails.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Certain trips get harder to justify when you're married and especially after you have kids

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Depends on where you go and the agendas of the people there. Obviously, single people have far different agendas than married people.

Golfing is the great equalizer. Vegas? Yeah. It could get awkward, especially if there's only one or two married guys in a large group.

4. JackReacher

The only problem you might have with Australia is the same problem I might have with St. Andrews. The cost. People is broke!!

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would set a dollar fugure of about $500 to $600 for a mancation. Do a Friday morning to Sunday afternoon type of thing.

You start pushing a grand per person, you are going to start ruling out a lot of people.

You get five guys in a lake house with $3,000 to play around with, you can get a lot done.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For you it is not.

But you want people to be able to go with you.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't like any of my friends.
    I don't want to be around any of them for more than a fews hours at a time.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This has Carnival cruise written all over it.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mancations are great. Just don't call it that.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's worse than Bromance.

11. JackReacher

Even the term staycations is terrible.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My buddies are starting to talk Ireland or Scotland for a golf junket for our 40th birthdays. But I'm thinking, if the point of the trip is to play links golf, with caddies, maybe in lousy weather, then to get hammered every night, rinse and repeat for several days -- that could also be done in Bandon Dunes, Ore., for a fraction of the cost. Though I know Ireland/Scotland is special, blah blah, so probably not gonna win that discussion.

And yeah, before wives/kids we used to do the gambling trips once a year...Vegas, Reno, Biloxi. All were terrific.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted