1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mancations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 15, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Has anyone here ever taken one? They sound a little creepy, but it was suggested to me to help my transition to singlehood:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mancation

The golf- or whiskey-themed packages sound awesome. The spiritual healing ones, not so much.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Getting your boys together for a golf trip? Ain't nothing wrong with that. I think they're pretty common. I've thought about getting the group from my bachelor party back together for a return trip to Miami next summer.

I'd keep it to no more than 3 days, though. Any more than that and everyone starts to annoy each other.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My senior year of college, my best three friends and I went to Florida for spring break. By about day four or five, there was a fist fight (quickly broken up) that was preceded by a crying jag. I was neither a fighter or a cryer, for the record.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

Worst spring break ever. Ew.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you want to go somewhere with a bunch of guys, Ireland is the ticket. Golf, horse racing, scenery, drinking, fishing. The entire culture is geared towards men doing stuff in groups, which is very unhealthy, but could make for a good vacation.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

After college, I met up with friends once a year in Vegas.

Then people started getting married and the number dwindled every year. The last time I went was 2003.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I took one with a buddy in summer 2007. We were both stationed near Seattle at the time. Drove around the Olympic Peninsula, then all the way down the Pacific coast to the Redwoods. Spent two days camping and hiking once we got there. Lots of drinking and eating and fun.

Had a blast.

I agree with Gee. If you have the money, Ireland is the ticket.

8. JackReacher

I'm seriously considering trying to put together a trip to St. Andrews for The Open in 2015. It is being held there in 2015, right?

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Isn't this the same thing as a road trip? Take 'em all the time.

One thing is for damn certain that I take away from the Wiki link, and that no way in hell am I going away with a bunch of guys for "sexual reawakening."

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ski trips make good mancations, too.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My buddies and I have rented lake houses and taken trips to see different baseball parks.

And I have no problem with my wife taking scrapbooking weekends as well.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My wife thinks I spend half of my life on mancations (I call it work) so it becomes difficult for me to get away for pure relaxation with the fellas.

Draft saved Draft deleted