1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing Sports Editor-Naples Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bevo, Jun 3, 2014.

1. DuckSoup

DuckSoup New Member

It's a holiday week ... wouldn't expect any movement just yet.

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Making all of the rejection replies seem quite odd, the position was posted today on JournalismJobs.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1599955

3. The rejections aren't odd at all. Maybe none of the candidates to receive rejection letters fit the bill.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Or maybe the one person they really had in mind for this job said no after all. (Or two or three.)

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

If they had one person in mind, why wouldn't they have simply interviewed that person? No need to advertise in that case.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I know. They may have had to legally advertise it even though one person was targeted. Same thing happened when Cincinnati hired a writer to cover Northern Kentucky sports. They had the guy hired a day or two after Gannett posted the job. (Shrugs)

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Private enterprise doesn't have to legally advertise it, unless Florida specifically has a law about it.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It's not a law, but I think in many cases it is a company policy. It is at my shop. Or it was last I had heard.

9. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Scripps often sends out rejection notes quickly to people the hiring personnel do not want to proceed. That doesn't necessarily mean they have someone in mind or even finalists, they just pare the field.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Scripps is totally on the cheap these days.
    Probably want somebody young. And close by.
    The smaller the net, the cheaper the interview.

11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Scripps' Florida papers do tend to prefer in-state candidates who live within driving distance, although they'll occasionally make exceptions if an out-of-state candidate blows them away. The company also likes to promote people within the chain.

Based on what I know of the Naples and Treasure Coast papers, which are about the same size, newsroom senior editors (the sports editor's job falls into that category) used to be paid around $60K a year, maybe a bit more. But the company is, indeed, tight-fisted and the pay scale may be lower now. Naples is also a playground for the rich and the cost of housing is quite high.

12. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

$60K in Naples? Crap. I left in 1995. 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted