1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing Generation Y

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Aug 3, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I used to get dinner for EVERYBODY in the sports department on Saturday nights, pretty much every week.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You might be joking, but there are people out there who wouldn't be.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

hey SF, go get me a coffee, will ya? :)

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Lolly, most work is at least somewhat routine, and you don't get backpats for the routine ("Wow, Fred, love how you hung that bumper").

Also, editors are former reporters. The number of people who became reporters because they figured their exceptional people skills would help them with interviews is one (Erin Andrews) and holding.

Do it because you love the work.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

And for those who were serious, you probably would have gone to get the coffee 30 or 40 years ago.

Today? No one would ask.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Hey kid, the paste pots are getting low, go refill them, then stop back in composing and sort out last week's bang out of the hell box.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If I'm an unpaid intern, I get you coffee. If not, you can get off your ass and get it yourself.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

This discussion reminds me of what the late, great Mr. Carlin called the pussification of society.

9. dieditor

dieditor Member

Which is why he's not in sports journalism, at least at my shop. Dude also mentioned that his mom didn't want him to move so far away from home at least 3-4 times.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Well that's never a good sign.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

A boss can offer mentoring. A boss can offer pats on the back. In my journalistic career, I've received plenty of pats on the back and almost no mentoring. I wish it were the other way around. I'd much rather learn something new than be told I'm the most outstanding mediocrity in the organization.

Draft saved Draft deleted