1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing Generation Y

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Aug 3, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Perfect.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Maybe you're not getting any positive feedback because you're lollygagging around. And you know what that makes you?

3. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I guess that's part of my question, too. Why does this have to be such a thankless job? I know I'm not the only one who sits around sometimes annoyed that we never hear anything back constructive from our bosses, and I know my generation isn't solely guilty of that either. And so what if I or anyone else feels a little underappreciated? Is it wrong to expect a little appreciation? I work hard every day, but a little pat on the back every once in a while would make me work even harder, as I think it would a lot of people. There are managers out there who are good at this, but it seems like they're few and far between.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Again, not to excuse it, but this has been going on basically forever.

This is a very fast-paced business, and with the Internet, the pace is picking up. AND you still have the regular hard print deadline to deal with.

It's as simple as this: People are on the move from one thing to another all day, and there's not a lot of time to stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

The odd thing about the news business is that it's the ultimate "no news is good news" business. If you're not hearing a lot of criticism and they're giving you a check regularly, THAT's positive feedback.

Beyond that, I love armageddon's idea: Schedule some time with your boss to find out how you're doing.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Don't most of us have some sort of evaluation once a year? There should be plenty of feedback inherent there.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Been in the business for nearly 25 years now.

Legit pats on the back MIGHT equal that number.

Yet my passion hasn't waned. (No, I'm not sucking up to a certain SE from Orlando ;D)

If I can go to sleep at night -- or at 3 a.m. -- knowing I served our readers to the best of my ability that day, well, that's fine with me.

If you're only in your 20s and already feel unappreciated, view yours as a "thankless" job and are already getting worn down by it, Lord help you in this business.

I mean that sincerely.

Journalism isn't youth soccer where everybody gets a trophy just for playing (ie: working hard).

Sometimes, more often than not, we have to push ourselves day after day.

Think folks who cover an MLB team or an NBA team as their primary beat get lots of pats on the back during the season? Unlikely. Yet they keep grinding away because that is what they do, what we do.

This biz is in terrible shape these days. The job can be a bitch. But the rewards can be tremendous, if you have the stomach.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Sheeeeeeeeeeet.

Haven't had a review this fucking century, despite the fact they are contractually mandatory.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Grow some thick skin and deal with it or get over it, or you'll eat yourself inside out.

Coffee black, one sugar. And pick up some Boston creme filled, too.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, not to diminish by any means that this is an important and legitimate subject, I ask this more lighthearted question:

Are there still places where the new people are sent out to get food or coffee or whatever, and that's just the way it is?

I couldn't imagine ordering an entry level person at our place to do that these days.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gen X'er. 36. In the biz for 18 years or so.

Pretty good posts so far, and Cranberry's post, even if it hurts some to read, is spot-on. I thought about the question after my initial post and wondered how I might answer it without sounding the same way. Not sure I can be any more succinct that Cranberry.

That said, you sound like a go-getter, which is my favorite trait about people in this business. Everything else falls into place after that. So, either start leading at your place or go get yourself a job at a paper with managers who love this game and are receptive to the needs of newsies like yourself.

But also remember that this isn't Little League baseball where you get extra cheers and love from the coach for fielding a routine grounder and throwing the guy out -- because that's what you were supposed to do in the first place.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you NEED an external pat on the back to work harder, that's a problem.

You have to look at it this way: your managers are not necessarily going to be brilliant people people. Even the ones who are will not have an intrinsic sense of what you're feeling at any moment. And be careful when you say you want more feedback -- you can't automatically assume it will be good. If you have a completely toxic manager, that's another thing, but a completely toxic manager is NOT one who fails to hand out complements every once a while.

That you're still allowed in the building should count as a pat on the back. Like others have said, if you're not sure whether what you're doing is up to snuff, take the initiative to arranage a meeting. This works the other way -- if the boss doesn't hear from you, he or she assumes you must be satisfied and happy. Anyway, make sure that meeting is not about just you, you, you, but phrased in a way of saying that you want to make sure what you're doing is best for the publication, AND that you want recommendations for improvement. Don't make it sound like you expect the boss to pat you on the head.

Failing that, you can always ask more experienced colleagues how you're doing, and for some suggestions. In some ways, they might be more open and honest than your boss. Again, don't ask for this expecting to hear about how great you are. Because if you figure you're already so great, then why do you need people to tell you? Plus, there's no better way to infuriate more experienced colleagues than to carry yourself as if you expect a shiny apple for your brilliance.

12. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

It's not like I'm hanging on the edge here or anything and pulling my hair out. I just don't think there should be anything wrong with expecting a little of this stuff. That, to me, is part of a manager's job is to keep their staff motivated and in good spirits. And go get your own damn coffee.

Draft saved Draft deleted