1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing Editor/Writer/Photog for Alabama football website and mag

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Jan 23, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Fixed.

And a dandy opportunity it sounds like.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Over/Under on the total number of magazine issues before folding?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What does your "fix" mean?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Neutered?

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Actually this will stick for a couple years at least. The Florida magazine is headed into its third year and the Georgia and Tennessee ones are headed into their second year. There hasn't been much turnover at the place either. The Florida, Tennessee and Georgia editors have all been around since the beginning of 2006 and I've never once heard a rumble about paychecks not coming in on time, etc.

The good thing is they are annual publications so it's not a situation where one guy is asked to produce monthly magazines.

Poorly worded ad aside, it's a lot better than most of these fly by nighters and PM me if you want to know the little that I know.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The stability everyone craves,.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

At this point in our business, a two-year guaranteed job is nothing to sneeze at.

rb

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Exactly. A smart person will capitalize on learning a lot in a couple years and use it as a springboard to better opportunities. Having the knowledge of maintain a website and producing a 200+ page annual magazine, all while having a good budget for writers and photogs. Hell I wrote for the Georgia ones and got paid well to do it. No complaints on this end. I think there are worse jobs in the world.

9. I can't decide anymore. Is he trying to be funny or does he think there's no difference between "your" and "you're"

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'll answer that question when he figures out how to use a comma.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There was actually a preview magazine in 1999 (and possibly 2000) as well called "Alabama Football Illustrated" that was set up much like this. It included (mostly useless) previews of the in-state colleges, but also had full capsules on every high school that was a Godsend to a wet behind the ears weekly editor.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

The Rockbottom Pipeline tells us that David Wasson, formerly of The Tuscaloosa News, has accepted this job.

:)

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted