1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing Editor: College FB/BB Site LostLettermen.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Eze167, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Eze167

Eze167 New Member

Job Requirements: The college football and men’s basketball website LostLettermen.com is looking for a managing editor to join its team.

Their main responsibilities will be:
    • Updating profiles for the site’s massive player database often called “the IMDb of college sports”
    • Writing unique content for the site such as features and Top 10 lists
    • Promoting content through social media and other outlets to drive traffic to the site

The candidate must be located in the New York City area as the job is located in Brooklyn, NY. The candidate will be expected to work 9 AM-7 PM on weekdays and remotely from Noon-6 PM on Sundays.

The candidate must have at least 2 years of experience working in sports journalism, be an avid college football and men’s basketball fan, generate lots of great ideas for unique content, be extremely self-motivated and willing to work long hours for this unique opportunity to be part of a small team of huge sports fans. Experience with a website is preferred but not required.

The pay is $35,000 a year and the candidate must be self-motivated, organized, creative, meticulous and willing to work long hours.

About: LostLettermen.com is a college football and men’s basketball website launched in March 2009. It has a database of 175,000 former athletes that answers the question “Where Are They Now?” and also creates its own unique content, such as features and Top 10 lists. It has content partnerships with AOL Fanhouse and Yahoo and regularly appears on the home page of the world’s fourth-most trafficked website.

To apply, please send a cover letter, your resume and 3 feature ideas or Top 10 list ideas to jamesmweber@gmail.com.

2. Simon

Simon Active Member

Is it even legal to advertise a job that requires working 56 hours a week?

3. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

A base 56 hours per week for $35,000 in New York City.

Sign me up.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I work with Jim some as part of the partnership he mentioned with FanHouse. I'm not going to get into hours (who in this business doesn't work long hours?) or pay but I can vouch they're good folks who know what they're doing.

5. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

At that rate of pay at those hours, I make almost as much per hour at my podunk weekly in Western Massachusetts.

6. anonymous1

anonymous1 New Member

How quickly are they looking to fill the position?

7. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

So you want me to work 56 hours a week for $35k in one of the country's most expensive cities? Where do I sign up?.....The way journalism is going, we're going to be the "new Mexicans."

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When they feel like it. Do you have anything to add on these posts than asking when they are looking to make a hire.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone actually wants YOU to work for them. Not with your attitude.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. mb

mb Active Member

I realize a job is a job is a job ... and maybe if you're already living with your parents in the area and don't have to buy/rent ... and have no social life to speak of ... and maybe this and maybe that ...

But I'd be ashamed to come on a board looking for somebody to come to damn near the most expensive place in the country, to work damn near 60 hours a week and get $3 north of minimum wage to do it.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm told Jeff Bilbrey and Julius Muller are hot on this job. No one else need apply, they are the be-all, end-all here too.

Draft saved Draft deleted