1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manager, Sports Content - Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, Jun 22, 2009.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

That's a great hire and a great guy! I'm trying to remember, but was Nick a layoff casualty or did he just decide to move on. Just curious.
    Again, great hire. Congrats Nick!

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Nick -- better known as "Pugo" to his friends and associates -- took a buyout after 30 years at the Tampa Tribune (or what's left of it) and moved on. This is excellent news for him and his family. We'll miss him here in the Sunshine State, but he'll have fun and do great in Iowa. And his new colleagues are going to love him.

Congrats, Pugo.

3. bdangelo

bdangelo Member

Glad to see Pugo land a job, but wow that is a long way from home. I remember seeing the big Quaker Oats marquee from the interstate when I was up there back in 1996.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I only barely know the guy, but he put my name in the mix for a job some time ago when something with his crew fell through.
    Glad to hear he landed on his feet.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Can you hear me applauding? This is great news - terrific hire and a terrific guy.
    All I know about his Tampa tenure is they won a bunch of APSEs in charge and he had a great rep in the company. Was a terrific "ear" for me as we were going through our management changes.
    This truly made my day.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I echo all the good things about Nick. Wish him and his family all the best.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

For all the crap Cedar Rapids has gone through lately, this is a good hire. Cedar Rapids can be an excellent paper once again and Nick's likely the guy to make it happen.

And no, I'm not Nick. :)

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

This is a great hire. Unfortunately, I think he's stepping into a mess. Within the last year they've laid a lot of good people off and management has made some pretty disastrous decisions.

He'll be a good fit, because there's a lot of great people on the sports staff at the newspaper and they do some good stuff on the Web.

9. beardown

beardown Member

You're right, JB. He is stepping into a mess. The sports staff was informed that if the company hired this position externally, one of the current sports staffers would get let go. It's just yet to be determined who's out and when they're going. That's a helluva thing for a person to think about coming into a new job, even worse for the sports staff.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Wow. That sucks for Cedar Rapids but, as a good friend of mine found out the hard way, seems indicative of how Becky Lutgen Gardner handles things.

rb

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A new player on our team? Shhheeeeeesssshhhh

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I love how that letter says..."He says he was the first true multimedia...."

I mean....he was, in fact, the first true whatever, right? Weird wording.

Draft saved Draft deleted