1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manager, Sports Content - Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jetssack

jetssack Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1065072

Company: Gazette Communications
    Position: Manager Sports Content
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 27, 2009
    Job ID: 1065072

Description:
    This position is responsible for combining the sports teams from KCRG TV-9 and The Gazette to deliver sports content to be used in broadcast, print, online and blogs. Duplication of services on this team must be analyzed prior to any final assignments. Other responsibilities include: • Coordination of sports coverage • Supervise sports staff. • Recommend and make decisions regarding personnel, equipment and administrative matters. • Sports Reporting duties to include preparing and posting sports content for blog, online, print, broadcast Position requires an undergraduate degree in journalism, English, or related course of study with at least 5-7 years experience a reporter, editor photojournalist or video journalist, and 5-7 years experience in leadership and/or administration position. Candidates must have experience with digital tools and techniques such as blogging, use of social media, databases and linking.

Send cover letter, salary requirements and resume with work samples to: Gazette Communications PO Box 511 500 third Ave SE Cedar Rapids, IA 52406 E-mail: gazcohr@gazettecommunications.com

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

This reads like a new-era sports editor gig. Although the all-blogs idea was odd, this might be an interesting challenge for someone.

3. YaBBforum

YaBBforum Member

how does the current sports editor not get this? is there a shake up going on?

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They've broken the job up into pieces. The previous SE, J.R. Ogden, is now -- you're not going to believe this title -- Sports Product Planner, which sounds like he designs and markets sporting goods for Wilson but in fact means he is in charge of figuring out what goes in the section and what the paper should and shouldn't cover. This job is managing the writers and making sure what J.R. wants done actually gets done. This position also does the same thing with the TV station and its reporters.

God, I hate these new-age titles.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like a Gannett kind of title, though this isn't a Gannett shop.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

See, I've been called something like that for years:

Birdcage liner planner :D

7. YaBBforum

YaBBforum Member

forgive me -- happy to see a job opening anywhere -- but this seems very stupid to me. so, in this day and age in newspapers (or, media information centers), you're paying two guys manager money. when it looks to me it could be handled by one person in one (albeit very big, very challenging) job. again, if your SE can't handle that, what the hell. i guess after all the cuts, they're bringing in a fancy-titled ASE?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just to clear things up, this position will also be a manager in charge of reporters and content for the TV station. This is not merely glorified ASE for the print side, it's a combined TV/print/web managerial position.

At least that's my admittedly limited (snce I don't work there) understanding of what's going on there.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

The Rockbottom Pipeline tells us that this one is close to being offered ... Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about the joint.
    rb

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Check that. I was lied to, which led to my earlier post on this. Good luck to the worker bees in Cedar Rapids. Sigh.

RB

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of meeting many of the sports people there when I was in Iowa, good people. Wrote some stories for J.R. and enjoyed doing that.

12. beardown

beardown Member

From The Gazette:

I am thrilled to announce a new player on our team. Dominic “Nick” Pugliese will be joining us August 31st as our manager of Sports Content. Nick had been sports editor at The Tampa Tribune. He says he was the first true multi-media sports editor responsible for content on three platforms: newspaper, online and television. Before becoming an editor, Nick was a beat writer for 20 years at the Tribune. He has been honored with numerous awards by the Associated Press Sports Editors as well as APSE and the Florida Sports Writers Association.

Becky Lutgen Gardner
    Sr. Director Information Content
    Gazette Communications

Draft saved Draft deleted