1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manager of Communications - NASCAR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KJIM, Feb 13, 2010.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Any word on this one?

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

You're hired!

(is that the right protocol?) ;D

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I know. My bad. I deserved it.

4. oldfart

oldfart Member

What happened to Owen Kearns? He had (has?) been the Truck series PR guru since the beginning.

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

And a damn good one, too.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Tiffany Breaux did a great job last year but bolted for a position with Richard Petty Motorsports during the offseason, which put Owen back in the saddle temporarily. But he's having to commute from Bakersfield/Arroyo Grande back to all the races in the midwest/east/southeast, and I think NASCAR would like to find someone younger and perhaps able to relocate to the home Daytona office or at least the southeast.

It would seem to be a cool job, but you're fighting a general lack of interest in the series from nearly every large media outlet -- which means the higher-ups will be pushing hard to get the word out there -- so I'm certain there's a bit of pressure on the person who accepts this position.

7. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

My favorite Owen Kearns story is from 2003 when the series was racing at South Boston Speedway and I was working for a small paper at the time. South Boston was in danger of losing its truck race to another track so I was working on a story for the paper since it was of local interest. So I contacted Owen and requested to speak to someone in NASCAR who was willing to go on the record and talk about the subject.

So I get to the track on raceday and go up to the press box. Keep in mind I am early. And there's Owen ranting and raving and very pissed off about something and venting to his NASCAR aides. Then I hear Owen say this: "I wonder where this guy is at. He calls me and worries the shit out of me about doing this story on this track losing this date and now he's not even here. It's not even important and nobody gives a shit but this small-town paper guy says it's important for his paper."

I then went up and introduced myself and informed him I was that guy he had been looking for. The look on his face was priceless.

8. Keystone

Keystone Member

Did he buy you a fried baloney sandwich to make amends?

9. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

Anybody on here apply for this? I did nearly a month ago and haven't heard a word.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'd forgive my worst enemy if he bought me a fried balogna sammich from South Boston. Extra fried onions, please.

11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

I did...silence here too...but look for them to fill this from within....probably just needed some token ousiders to make it look legit

12. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

jaxson, ThatGuy, I applied also and like you, haven't heard a thing. Word I received was that some highly qualified types were applying for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted