1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manager of Communications - NASCAR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KJIM, Feb 13, 2010.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

NASCAR is searching for a talented professional to join our team in the position of Manager of Communications. Based at our premier new headquarters in Daytona Beach or Concord, the Manager of Communications will manage the advance and day-to-day public relations efforts for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.

Duties include but are not limited to:

• Develops yearly public relations strategy.
    • Pitches stories, writes press releases and develops news and notes packages for the media on a regular basis.
    • Utilizes social media in promoting the series to media and fans.
    • Coordinates advance media outreach to promote and help drive attendance and viewership for each race.
    • Tracks media coverage from each race market.

Required skills/experience:

• Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) and 5 years related experience in public relations and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
    • Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe.
    • Ideal candidate must have impeccable writing skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks in an extremely fast paced environment, be extremely organized and have an eye for detail.
    • 50% travel required including weekends.

NASCAR offers an exciting fast paced environment with competitive pay and outstanding benefits including 401(k) eligibility after 30 days.

EOE

NASCAR is committed to fostering a diverse work environment where all employees feel valued and empowered.

http://nascar.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/apply.cfm?jobid=27977

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Two questions: will they look outside nascar for it and what's the pay scale? Also, would six years in newspapers and college PR experience give you an edge?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm hoping 10 years in newspapers will give me an edge. :)

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you've never covered NASCAR you have a better shot than if you have. Ramsey Poston told me years ago when I was considering moving into PR it is his general practice to not hire reporters. Especially those who have worked in the media center. He doesn't want anyone with loyalty to the press who would leak stuff.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Then again, there's not much press in the truck series to leak stuff to.

Maybe for that series they should get someone who knows their stuff, because it's somewhat of an acquired taste which is completely buried under Sprint Cup and the Danicawide Series.

(I'm trying for ya, 2MCM :) )

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There's common sense, playthrough.

And then there's NASCAR.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

The Truck Series, by all accounts, is what NASCAR used to be like. I think it's some of NASCAR's best racing. It's a good entry-level series for the newbies to cut their teeth in, while it gives older drivers not up to snuff for Sprint/Nextel/Jimmie Johnson Cup a ride.

They go to a lot of interesting tracks and the race format is a good one. Love the halftime.

9. NBrom

NBrom New Member

Halftime? was the last trucks race you watched in 1997?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Interesting tracks" might be a stretch too. Not nearly enough short tracks, plus this year the series added Pocono. Ugh.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I hadn't watched a truck series race since...then. So I stand corrected.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

They raced twice in the Northwest originally, which I loved. I thought it was great early on when they had mostly short tracks, a halftime and no live pit stops to keep costs down. I would rather see the series go back to some of its early tracks rather than tracks that already have two Cup races. Pocono? Seriously?

Draft saved Draft deleted