1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manager, Media Relations, D.C. United

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Nov 21, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Manager, Media Relations - D.C. United (Washington, DC)

D.C. United, the most successful team in the history of Major League Soccer, is seeking a highly motivated communications expert to oversee public and media relations for the team. The individual should have 2-3 years experience in the communications field, preferably in sports.

Roles and Responsibilities
    • Serve as primary team contact for all media – including print, radio, television
    • Serve as coordinator for all incoming media requests (interviews, photo shoots, etc.)
    • Assist with media pitches for placement of stories about the team, the players and the club.
    • Assist with content development of all online platforms
    • Oversee content and management of social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook)
    • Serve as one of the primary content producer and editor for all online platforms – dcunited.com, behindthebadge.com
    • Assist in management of Video Producer and Communications Coordinator.
    • Assist with production and oversight of all written materials – game notes, periodicals, e-newsletter, etc.
    • Oversee production of annual media guide and other team publications.

Experience & job requirements
    • 2-3 years of prior professional experience in the communications field.
    • Four-year college degree in communications or related field.
    • Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
    • Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including PhotoShop and InDesign.
    • Experience in juggling a number of work-intensive projects simultaneously, ability to meet and perform under tight deadlines and to think clearly under pressure.
    • Ability to work well with people in a team environment.
    • Willingness to work flexible hours, on numerous weekends, and on various holidays, due to the nature of professional sports.
    • Knowledge of soccer and MLS preferred, but not required.
    • Fluency in Spanish preferred, but not required.

Other
    Due to the cyclical nature of the entertainment industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the company.

Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with D.C. United rules and regulations for the safe and efficient operation of company facilities. Employees who violate these rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.

Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:

1. 1) Yes/No I have 2-3 years of prior professional experience in sports communications.
    2. 2) Yes/No I am proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, including PhotoShop and InDesign.
    3. 3) Yes/No I am fluent in Spanish.
    4. 4) Yes/No I live in the DC metro area.
    5. 5) Yes/No I am willing to relocate to DC for the position.

http://mls.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/r.cfm?i=26763

Draft saved Draft deleted