1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man U vs. Man City

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well, Premier League is not clarifying much of anything, so Nationwide Series (or Nationwide Tour) might be a better example. You should go with Barclays Premier League unless you're still calling the big postseason college football game in Atlanta the Peach Bowl.

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Like Webster, I can only watch the first 30 minutes before I have to go to class. So I'll be DVRing it and watching it tonight.

As much as I don't care for ManU, I'm saying ManU, 2-0. Don't know why. Just because it is.

If you remember my thread from a month ago about a noob picking a team (Spurs, by the way), I'm looking forward to seeing how this will go. Pre-game hype certainly has it hot.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Well the NASCAR series names are at least better than the names of some of the individual races, like the "Your Hero's Name Here 400" which is the actual name of the NASCAR race in Indianapolis.

Bowl games are no better. You hear some team has a bid to the Beef O'Brady's Bowl and have to google it to figure out where in the hell it is and what it used to be called. But you know, the bowl system has tradition and stuff.

At least when you say "Premiere League" most people assume you're talking about English football and not Indian cricket or whatever else it could be.

But yeah, City 2-1, Tevez scoring the winner around the hour mark

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Rooney hat-trick sees United through!

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Many soccer-playing countries call their top tier the premier league. If you're in England, no big deal. But how am I supposed to know that you mean the Barclays Premier League rather than the Scottish Premier League or the Russian Premier League or the Kazakhstan Premier League or the Welsh Premier League or the Maltese Premier League.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

If you mean Scotland or Russia or Kazakhstan, say Scotland or Russia or Kazakhstan. England is the one most soccer fans in the US are aware of and follow so that can be the default.

Meanwhile back on the pitch, United is keeping Mr. Hart quite busy so far.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I disagree. You offer clarification on all leagues always. There shouldn't be a default or an assumption about something most of your readers don't give a shit about.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Park isn't playing very well.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If United wins, is the headline IT'S REIGNING MAN?

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Time to rework that halftime locker room speech...

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Huge goal for City (damn it). But deserved for the way they were playing in the final 10 minutes of the half.

Draft saved Draft deleted