1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man U vs. Man City

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I know we have a dedicated soccer thread but next Monday's game is big enough to merit solo treatment.

This game might generate the most interest in the US of any game in history not involving the USMNT, or the women's World Cup final. SAF says it's the biggest Manchester derby in history. If there was any way this could be shown on ESPN or Fox in prime time I think the ratings would be exceptional for a BPL game in the US market.

I will be cheering for Man U but I think City wins if it's smart and keeps Baloteli on the bench. Man U's defense is a mess, Rafael is definitely a weak link and they should have shored that area up in the transfer period.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is a sexist thread.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Not a fan of either, so no rooting interest. Just hope it doesn't turn into one of those big-game stalemates.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

DCI Gene Hunt, definitely on the side of Man City.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So says Da Man.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oasis says, "Where were you when we were getting high had Niall Quinn?"

I hope Man City kicks the ever-living shit out of United. I know many hate Man City because they're nouveau riche and because Balotelli is an epic cocksucker, but I've always had a soft spot for them.

Not the least of which is because of Niall Quinn. I named my son Niall, and though he wasn't specifically named after Niall Quinn, I thought it was a cool name and I was inspired by it. Our back-up name had I not browbeat my wife into going with Niall was "Quinn". The fact that Niall Quinn is Irish and a mench off-the-field has only enhanced my opinion of him. I have a similar soft spot for Sunderland because of their long association with Quinn. They'd be my favored northeastern team.

Man City's history is very similar to that of my favorite club, Leeds, and I feel like the fans of Man City hit the lotto my club didn't when they were able to procure vastly rich ownership. I'm a bit envious as Leeds got fucking Ken Bates.

The loyalty of Man City's fans is very high -- when they found themselves in the third-tier back in the late 90s, they still had massive crowds at Maine Road. Much as Leeds drew very well in their recent third-tier purgatory at Elland Road.

And from everything I've read, the city of Manchester itself is at least equally blue as it is red. Obviously, Man U gets the well-deserved rep of drawing bandwagon fans from every corner of the globe.

Aesthetically, Man City is fun to watch too. So is Man U, I hate to admit.

But Man U is scum, so go Blues!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I hope the stadium implodes with both teams in it.

That said, new money wankers winning would be horrible.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What's the difference between new money wankers and old money wankers?

And besides, Man U isn't exactly old money anyway. Pretty sure Malcolm Glazer and Matt Busby were not confidants.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I will reluctantly accept EPL. But this BPL thing has got to go.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Man U was winning and in total control at 4-2 -- when Nani missed an easy chance and then the ball went to Evra who put one off of the post, I thought it was going to be 8-2.

The defense is not good -- I think that Vidic is the best CB in the past 10 years in the EPL and I was surprised that they were able to stay in the top 4 after losing him. Lot of iffy/young players in that defense.

Interesting to see what lineup they put out -- over the past few years, Scholes and Giggs would sit this one out because the game was too fast for them and SAF would call on players like Park, Anderson and Fletcher to keep the midfield crowded. Given the more limited options, I think he is going to have to play a 4-4-2 with Evra-Rio-Evans-Valencia, Young and Nani on the wings, Carrick-Scholes in the middle and Rooney and Welbeck up top. As strong as the firepower is on the flanks, I just don't think that they can stop Man City in the middle of the field. Wouldn't shock me to see Giggs as a more withdrawn No. 10 with Rooney as the lone striker.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

What's the over/under on Fergie Time? 10 minutes?

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Timmy saved a great shot from Rio in the 5th minute of Fergie Time yesterday. I think that the ABU part of the internet would have exploded if he had scored that goal.

Draft saved Draft deleted