1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man protesting motorcycle helmet laws dies...because he wasn't wearing a helmet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jul 3, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Helmet or no helmet, riding a motorcycle is not the wisest thing to do.

God bless people who do, but you will never see me on one.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My brother rides. He had to give it up for a few years for health reasons, but I recently found out he had started again. I was going to send the story I did with pictures from a fatal motorcycle accident scene, but I realized it was pointless. He has seen much worse as an EMT.

He insists that any accident that would kill him without a helmet would most likely kill or paralyze him anyway. He's even more stubborn than I am, so you can imagine how productive those conversations are. Stories like these get me pissed off at him all over again (good timing for it, too, since he's here visiting this week).

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well if you ride his motorcycle, no need to wear a helmet because there is nothing to protect....

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You may think it is stupid but guess what - in this country we have the right to be stupid.

And just like the decision to wear a seat belt, the decision to wear a helmet is each individual's decision to make - not some whiny ass political action group or politician.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Was Ben Roethlisberger among those protesting?

My dad's a minister, and has said numerous times he would disown me if I bought a motorcycle. He's buried too many who have been in motorcycle accidents.

The city closest to my hometown is an oil city. I also worked at the paper there. It is a city where there are too many young people with too much money and too much time on their hands. This leads to two things there, a huge drug trade, and far too many idiots on crotch rockets. They like to do wheelies all the way down the main drag, in and out of heavy oil traffic and some of the worst drivers in the country. This one evening during a heavy rainstorm, about a block from where I lived -- I was home at the time -- this one guy in his early 20s is out fucking around on his crotch rocket in front of his house in a residential area doing different tricks, no helmet of course. At one point he calls out his younger brother and girlfriend to watch him do trick. He winds up losing control and braining himself on a trailer hitch of a truck. I have no sympathy for these retards. Your brains on the pavement or a trailer hitch is not a cool look.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It's those 20-somethings fucking around on crotch rockets where most of your statistics come from. The overwhelming majority of your accidents involve some kind of cocktail of youth, speed and stupidity.

The biggest danger to older guys on cruisers riding back-and-forth to work and down isolated roads is the stupid cagers that are too busy talking on their phone or too cool to be bothered to pay attention. Ride defensively.

I ride almost daily. If you don't, that's your business. I wear a helmet 100 percent of the time. (I wear a helmet 100 percent of the time when I'm on my bicycle, too). Accidents can happen any time, any place. When you hear about someone falling and dying in their shower do you avoid bathing because you're scared you'll get injured?

8. outofplace

[​IMG]

9. outofplace

Except when those pesky laws say otherwise. (cue Zag with steam shooting out of his ears).

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm all for people riding without a helmet -- without them we would never get organs for the people who actually value life and need a little help with the heart or lungs. It's a public service, really.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Roughly half of motorcycle fatalities are single-vehicle accidents — the aforementioned dumbasses, failing to negotiate a curve, etc. A good chunk of accidents involve riders without motorcycle licenses or any training, and another good chunk involve riders who are legally drunk. So what Shoeless Joe describes sounds like a stereotype, but it's a pretty accurate one.

I'm not going to argue that motorcycling is absolutely safe, but it's a lot safer than people make it out to be.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I know that in the transplant community motorcycles are sometimes referred to as "donorcycles."

Draft saved Draft deleted