1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man protesting motorcycle helmet laws dies...because he wasn't wearing a helmet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jul 3, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I just don't even know how to describe this one. I know a man died and all and I should be sad but, golly, this is just hilarious.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He died doing what he loved -- driving his unprotected skull into the pavement.
  3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

To me, this is very sad, because not a single person that was "protesting" with him is going to change their stance and start wearing a helmet.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is this irony?
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not really, although on first glance it seems like delicious irony. But according to the definition, irony needs to have some level of incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result.

Thus, although not quite as interesting, had the person died on the way home from taking a motorcycle safety course, that would be a more accurate case of irony.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

God Hates Helmetless Motorcycle Riders!" {Westboro Baptist Church}
  7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Of course not. They'll start blaming and suing the state DOT for ensuring that the highway was safe.

Like to say it's sad, but he chose not to wear a helmet. Darwin rules.
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

At least he got to feel the wind whipping through his hair right before his forehead hit the pavement ...
  9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd like to think that the last thing that went through his head, other than the pavement, was to wonder how the hell that motorcycle ever got the best of him.
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

11. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

As someone who visits Maine and New Hampshire often, the sight of motorcyclists pulling over at, or just after. crossing the border of those states to take their helmets off has always mystified me.

It's just so far beyond stupid that it defies words.
  12. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

I hate myself for going down into one of these ridiculous "definition of irony" debates (the common usage of a word is the definition, and this is one of the many words with multiple meanings), but his expectation was that he'd prove that motorcyclists are fine without helmets. He proved they were not. There was an incongruity between his expected result and the actual result.
Draft saved Draft deleted