1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man on the Street — good idea?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think we need to call it something catchier than "Man on the Street." How about, "Ask A Douchebag?"

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We kicked that around a lot. Never came up with Ask A Douchebag. That might have been the winner.

The ChotchBag on the Corner did get some thought.
    Assholes Like You Speak Out.
    Illiterates Corner.

We could go on and on.

We had the diversity requirement (amongst the respondents, not in the quotes). Made doing them at NASCAR races tough.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

My place did one of these for today's paper. Sent somebody to the town of Cuba for reaction on Castro. (No word on why they bypassed the nearby town of Havana.)

Two of the five people that ran were the high school football coach and an all-area football player. Like they haven't been in the paper enough.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From reading these so often in my local paper, I'm not a fan anymore. They just don't work with as many stories as editors think. Like when one item asked people about a mass murder of an innocent family. All the panelists were shocked and disturbed, with not one person approving of the murder!

Waste of trees.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Re: Man on the Street — good idea?

And you'll be amazed at just how ignorant your readers really are. You want five answers? You're gonna be asking 20 people, because 15 of them won't have any idea what you're talking about. Well, unless you ask them something about Britney.

I wouldn't do it. Hate those damn things. Hate 'em.

How about actually getting opinions from Average Joe into your regular stories, rather than running a bunch of stories about what government officials say, then relegating ole' Average Joe to the "Man on the Street" section.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Or you could write a 20-inch story that fully captures the issue, instead of an abridged 10 inches that leaves room for the Man on the Street. Except that nobody reads 20-inch stories anymore because everyone's go-go-go busy in this wild and wacky digital age.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's super.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Reporter: Do you think council should approve the new ball park and use taxes to fund the project?

Man on Street: Hell no! I pay too many taxes now! No way do I want to pay for some community sports team's new house! That's bullshit. Did you know I never had my street plowed once this past winter? And my property tax went up too. I think the mayor got into office thanks to a fixed election. But don't put any of this in the paper - or I'll sue you.

Draft saved Draft deleted