1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man Of Steal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jul 3, 2006.

1. http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/copycatty_coulter_pilfers_prose__pro_nationalnews_philip_recchia.htm

Damn lib'rul NY Post!

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That's so sad.
    Not because I think Coulter is a spiteful bitch who is simply carving her niche because the cool kids wouldn't let her play with them back in the day -- trust me; I do think that.
    But ripping off planned parenthood brochures? How unoriginal is that?

3. Hey Webby --
    How is this not a journalism issue?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just when you thought it was impossible for someone to have less credibility.

Now, who will come out of the woodwork -- as they have in the past -- and lecture me about Coulter's academic credentials?

Where have all your friends gone, Ann?

5. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I know how these threads turn out... this is all political, brother. Besides, is Coulter really a journalist?

I may have left it on the Journalism board had you offered some insight or given it some legs as a journalism topic in your post.

6. I thought plagiarism was self-explanatory, regardless of the topic. My post was deliberately apolitical, except to point out where the story orginated, which makes it more credible and not less.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I know you're trying to be pithy and match it to current pop culture and all (and I know that in some corners there could very well be a propensity to question Coulter's feminity), but shouldn't it be Woman of Steal?

8. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

If you want to start it again on the Journalism board with a more appropriate subject line that actually says what it is and give more than just a link, feel free. Otherwise it remains here.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ann Coulter is a woman.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Back to the topic... I suspect this is more common that we realize. You can get all the "opinions" you need about anything from a quick Nexis search, and if you are lazy, do a lot of writing that way. I always figured people did the search, read what others had written and stole ideas--but didn't steal the actual copy. That takes balls (please no one, don't hit that one out of the park). Ann Coulter aside, who is an idiot, I actually love the fact that there is a guy out there with sophisticated software catching people when they plagiarize. It makes me feel that one little thing is right with the world.

11. Ragu --
    You're on the money and, I suspect, there are more people than the Man of Steal who are worried about this. A lot of op-ed writing, especially from politicians, that are nothing but boilerplate. I hope this guy's metholology is sound. If it is, he's going to get rich.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted