1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man loses 27 pounds on snack food diet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

None of BigPerm's "turkey roll-ups" for this guy. He ate almost exclusively processed snack cakes and cookies for two months - and lost nearly 30 pounds. What's more, all of his health indicators improved:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html?hpt=T2

The possible conclusion? Calories are what matter most, not content of food. Although it would be my guess that at some point you'd plateau this way because you can't add muscle without protein, even though you could presumably burn fat from a caloric deficit.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So that's how Nick Saban got skinny.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. NDub

NDub Guest

Caloric intake is definitely where it's at. Portion control is key.

At least the guy didn't go all sugar on us. He did have a protein shake, can of green beans and a couple celery stalks every day.

I wonder how much, if any, exercise. The story indicates he had "moderate physical activity," whatever that means.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This stuff makes me nuts. The guy took in 1800 calories a day, which is far less than he (or most men) would normally eat. Of course he's going to lose weight, his body is burning through everything he has just to keep up. What most people will hear is, 'Junk food doesn't make you fat!' Yeah, it does, because most people can't stop at 1800 calories.....especially when a Twinkie is 150, a Hostess cupcake is 180, 24 Doritos have 300 calories. Doesn't go too far. Why not just eat, you know, real food? And so much more of it??

Plus, the lack of nutrition will eventually damage your organs, and the constant intake of sugar will probably give you diabetes, but maybe that can be his next study.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

Boom gets it.

The guy's body is burning through 1,800 calories and probably getting into muscle degradation about every day. This guy's muscle mass has to be so low now.

I'm curious about his energy levels during this diet.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Somebody needs a jelly donut ...

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm not sure why this is newsworthy. You could lose 27 pounds on Atkins in that timeframe very easily.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm not Boom, I just like the logo.

As for the jelly donut...damn right. But then I'd be asleep in ten minutes, and you would miss me.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

Damnit, my bad, 21. TWENTY-ONE.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the newsworthiness is that his indicators other than sheer weight, like cholesterol and body fat composition, improved. Plus, I think it kind of exposes Atkins in a way, because it shows that you can lose weight doing the opposite of Atkins - ALL bad carbs.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'd rather eat eggs, cheese, fish and chicken than a bunch of Lil Debbies.

Draft saved Draft deleted