1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man kills his own daughter, and his own six grandchildren, then himself

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 19, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Another Heterosexual distraction

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I don't know many gun rights activists who go that far. I have no doubt there are some absolutists out there, but most gun rights folks I know/have interacted with are fine with felons losing that right.

3. franticscribe

Sounds like he should've been prosecuted on federal firearms charges in the death of his son and still be in prison instead of having his case go to the state.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Maybe if there was a law against this guy owning a gun his family would still be alive.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not to go all copy editor-nerd for a moment, but why is this guy's name in the headline? Were we supposed to know him?

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

Murder ought to be against the law, too. He'd have thought twice.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Remember when that guy actually started appearing at campaign stops? Remember when he opined on Israel?

I'm pretty sure 2008-2010 was the nadir of GOP politics. Our government will spend years recovering from Palin and the Tea Party.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The NYT - I know, consider the source on this topic, but still - had a piece the other day about Democrats are now the ones bringing the boom on social wedge issues, while Republicans are trying desperately to avoid them. Quite a remarkable change in a short period of time.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, not at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/25/nra-lecture-circumvent-restrictions-buying-guns

Mr. Spirit was convicted of felony marijuana possession, which isn't what I'd call the most serious of felonies.

And you know, I can understand the argument that a guy with a felony marijuana conviction shouldn't necessarily be barred from owning a gun. But to suggest that it's a rare argument? Uh. No.

10. franticscribe

Like I said above, I have no doubt there are some absolutists out there, which you're pointing too. I don't believe that is a widely held belief among gun owners, though. And just because a an NRA mouthpiece advocates for a position, I'm not even convinced that most NRA members agree. There are a lot of us out there, myself included, who are NRA members only because it's a requirement for access to the better local ranges. But I digress.

Most gun owners I know and interact with have no issue with felons losing their firearms rights. There are even some misdemeanor crimes (domestic violence assault) which will, and should, bar people from owning guns.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hard to say if the kids would have been better off if the state had removed them from the home.

Surely their mother loved them, and the kids would have been sad if they had been removed. Alive, but sad.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Whether NRA members agree is irrelevant. As long as politicians kowtow to the NRA position, it doesn't matter how many of the members disagree with that position. Until the alleged vast ranks of rational NRA members speak up about the policies of their association and force a change, it doesn't matter any more than what a nonmember thinks.

Draft saved Draft deleted