1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man goes up in skydiving plane, forgets one thing...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jun 7, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

...a chute.

Splat.
    http://www.fox23news.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=d4d6ee34-2cb9-4369-b08d-e282b50f8ed9

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't seem like he forgot anything. Sounds like he wanted to go that way. Pathetic. Imagine being the homeowner trying to collect from his family's insurer. Sad.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

A radio report I heard on the way home made it sound like he had a camera to document things for the divers and got carried away and went anyway.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I have a hard time believing someone could be THAT stupid... that, in their zeal to capture a shot, they took a header out of a plane with the proper equipment.

But then again, there are some damn stupid people. If it was an accident, and not suicide, then I think we've got a Darwin Award candidate.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

The more digging I did...I'm now betting suicide.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=694425&category=&BCCode=&newsdate=6/7/2008

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

So how long before the video guy's film comes up on youtube? Two days? It's with police. I'm sure it won't be leaked.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Huh. General Schwarzenegger as an emergency contact? Nope.. no red flag there.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

He obviously never watched Point Break.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I wonder what the survival rate is from parachute failure. You hear about people surviving impact on occasion — extremely fucked-up, but alive.

Maybe they get lucky and hit a tree to break their fall. Or maybe a skilled diver can position his body so he comes in at an angle and dissipates his momentum by hitting the surface and tumbling. At any rate, I'm amazed whenever a "streamer" (the nastiest cuss word in Airborne school, BTW) lives to tell the tale.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If he hadn't forgotten his inflatable raft and Asian sidekick, he would have survived.

Draft saved Draft deleted