1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man falls through newsroom ceiling

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, May 5, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

(Hope this isn't a D_B...should it be moved to the journalism board?)
    http://www.pekintimes.com/articles/2007/05/03/news/news7.txt (Via The Obscure Store)

PEKIN - Sometimes news stories seem to fall from the sky.

That's one lesson Rick Wade, the editor of the Pekin Daily Times, learned early Wednesday morning.

That is when, around 6 a.m., a man crashed through the ceiling of the Times' newsroom.

“We were quietly going about our work, three of us, and suddenly there was a loud crash from across the room,” Wade said. “I saw the ceiling tile hanging down and some guy on the floor. All I could think to say was, ‘Who the heck are you?'” Wade said.

The editor called police, who responded and found Charles Wade, 23, of Peoria, lying on the floor of the newspaper's newsroom.

According to Detective Chris Bitner of the Pekin Police Department, when officers arrived, they saw the hole in the ceiling and discovered Charles Wade, no relation to the editor, being treated by Advanced Medical Transport personnel.

According to one employee who was cut by falling debris, footsteps were heard from above prior to the moment when the man crashed through the ceiling.

During the fall, Charles Wade hit an unoccupied desk and landed on the floor.

Rick Wade said Charles Wade is not an employee.

The police incident report indicates that Charles Wade had been drinking.

Bitner said that the report also indicates that Charles Wade was unable to provide details as to why or how he came to be in the building.

Charles Wade was taken to Pekin Hospital for treatment. He was arrested for criminal trespass to land, Bitner said.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Nothing like breaking news falling in your lap.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

"Look, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's.....a drunk falling from the sky." :D

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

I've worked with several people over the years who couldn't explain why they were in the newsroom either.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Starting with the man in the mirror?

6. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

A naked blond walks into a bar, with
    a poodle under one arm and a two
    foot salami under the other. She
    lays the poodle on the table. Bar-
    tender says: "I suppose you won't
    be needing a drink." The naked
    lady says...

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I can only suppose this has something to do with the glass ceiling I've heard so much about.

YHS, etc

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's raining men! Hallelujah! (/sportschick)

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Does this give new meaning to "breaking into the business"?

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Guess no one got milege for this one.

11. Dedo

Dedo Member

I wanna be your kingpin,
    Livin' in Pekin.
    I wanna be your bigwig,
    Livin' in Pekin.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

OK Slappy, that was funny, I let it slide this time. But don't pick on me too much, I know what you drive. I sure would hate to have to put a car bomb under your ride.

Draft saved Draft deleted