1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man exonerated after 35 years in prison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

In prison for the kidnapping and rape of a 9-year-old boy. Which he didn't do.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091217/ap_on_re_us/us_old_rape_dna

He "looks forward to eating fried turkey and drinking Dr Pepper."

I keep hearing the system's set up to stop this from happening. Really? At least the guy wasn't executed before he got his chance to prove his innocence.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Eyewitness testimony remains vastly, vastly overrated. Eyes lie.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Eyewitness IDs are very, very often wrong. People simply don't remember things as well as they think they do.

And the idea of showing a photo lineup to a 9-year-old is ridiculous. Clearly, he's going to expect that one of the guys in the lineup was that guy that did it. Especially if the detectives are steering him in that direction.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I wonder how much news he missed out on from the sports world.

Perhaps I'll write a column.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

We have had three high profile cases in this state, with people exonerated by DNA evidence. One guy servved 18 years for a kidnapping and rape he didn't commit. The victim's testimony helped put him away. They finally got the real suspect. Two other cases remain unsolved.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You should get 35 years for that comment!

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Solid.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Oggie leaves the yard!

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

In our town, the guy found out who did it himself, while in jail for over 15 years, confronted him through the mail and the real culprit comitted suicide.

That's what got the ball rolling.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figure we're going to have to wait until a white upper-class kid gets put away for 35 years and then exonerated before "seemed like a solid case at the time" doesn't cut it any more.
    I respect cops, respects prosecutors and the tough jobs they do - but their job is to arrest people, prosecute people and convict them. The more high profile the case, the greater pressure to put someone/anyone in jail.
    If your editor is busting your ass to finish a story for the next day's paper, are you not more inclined to maybe pass on that extra phone call you planned on making or quit waiting for that last call back?

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I have a friend who actually said to me about this kind of thing: "Well, the odds are they have done something in the past that they needed to be imprisoned for, so it all works out in the end."

I was appalled that he would think, let alone say, something like that.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Your friend's an idiot. And that's about the nicest thing I can say about him.

Very few 19-year-olds have done enough to have earned 35 years in the clink.

Draft saved Draft deleted