1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man-eating sinkhole claims victim in Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What would you have rescue workers do? A sinkhole like that is like a giant flushing toilet of mud. The guy's own brother said he never even saw the guy down there in the muck, and it's highly doubtful there are giant pockets of air for him to hang out in until the backhoe arrives and digs him out.

It's a sad and rare set of circumstances, but the guy never had a chance.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This picture is from Guatemala a couple of years ago, but it gives you an idea of what a sinkhole can do. You're basically asking them to set up heavy equipment on the edges of loose, unstable soil that drops off into a bottomless pit. As a California guy, think about what happens when the soil liquifies during an earthquake. That's what's happening here, only without the earthquake.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Did weird things on the TV set cause this?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That reminds me: what's Paris Hilton been up to?

5. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41tO0xwSsco

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Three days later there was still no visible sign of the sinkhole from outside of the house; that picture's hardly representative of the situation. And it looked to me like there was a lot of heavy equipment on the yards adjacent.

7. Riptide

Pretty sure the rescue experts in the area have more information and knowledge at hand than a bunch of people throwing ideas around on an Interwebs board. ::)

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As I understand it, rescuers strung sensors down the hole that would have detected a mouse fart, but got nothing. If they thought there was reasonable evidence of life -- and that more people would not have been threatened by a rescue mission -- there would have been more effort. Anything flippant to the contrary is bullshit and not very funny. (Sorry, I used to live in the TB area and am well aware of how awful sinkholes are, so I'm sensitive.)

9. Riptide

Another sinkhole now reported in the area, TV news just said.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Riptide

Turns out it's a few miles northwest of the first one.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/brandon/2013/mar/04/3/second-sinkhole-opens-in-seffner-near-site-where-m-ar-649588/

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sinkholes form for various reasons around the world, but in Florida it looks like they're formed by water dissolving limestone over hundreds of years, which is the same process that forms caves. Eventually the hole grows so big that the surface can no longer hold up and falls in.

Ground penetrating radar can detect these developing sinkholes and will probably have to be used in the future to clear any further development.

Draft saved Draft deleted