1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man-eating sinkhole claims victim in Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Wicked good. :D

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Florida eats Florida man

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm shocked at the lack of effort to rescue the guy.

If this had happened in Los Angeles, there'd be a non-stop effort to get him the hell out of the hole -- they'd have that house torn apart and rescuers dangling from ropes from cranes above the hole within 20 minutes.

The nonchalant attitude of the Florida authorities says a lot about that place.

Think God the Chilean miners weren't trapped outside Tampa.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

He was dead two minutes after the hole swallowed him. Drowned or asphyxiated, take your pick.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Proof?

7. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

And the fact that this is not a typical sink hole. It's huge. It's deep and there's been a lot of concern that the whole area will start toppling in. Recovering his body while killing others would not be a great idea.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dude, Buckwheat not Gumby.

RIP, John David Stutts

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I live about five miles from where this all happened. The water table here is basically right beneath your feet. It's a very, very safe assumption to assume he drowned pretty much immediately after he fell in.

And once the ground starts going, it goes fast. I noticed that there have been very few pictures from the scene showing the actual damage to the house. I'm guessing it's because the ground is so unstable that it's not safe for photographers to get anywhere close to it.

A very scary situation, and unfortunately not uncommon in west-central Florida, where the topography is not really built for the increase in development (and water usage) of the last 30 years.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is a scary situation, and, I'm sure there's something I don't know or understand very well about it. But I've had that same thought about this.

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

This is the most terrifying thing I have seen in years. Dude was just sitting there.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

"Nature bats last."

Draft saved Draft deleted