1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man dies after locking himself inside car

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I wonder why he couldn't catch the attention of others in the parking lot and alert them that he was in crisis. Usually there are a lot of people coming and going at Waffle House. And when it's apparent that you might die, you gotta find some way to break that window.

Do-or-die, man. Whatever it takes. Nothing solid in the car, anywhere, to use to break a window? There's gotta be. Find a way.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Pull your pants off, press your butt cheeks against the side window, and start mooning the Waffle House customers. Do it nasty - Texas red eye. Surely someone would call the cops.

Although, I guess in this day and age, people are more likely to twitpic your asshole out to the social media world while you die.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

He was probably too embarrassed to cry out, or to start pounding on the glass until, well... it was too late.

I completely emphasize with him. That probably could be me. Just sitting there, thumbing through the pages, sweating my ass off, thinking Ah this is so silly... But I'm going to have a great story... Now where's that section about the door...?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I lose some sympathy with the dude lounging at Waffle House for 4 hours with his dog in a hot car.

BDC99 likes this.
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Cars should come equipped with these ...

image.jpg

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I remember an interview once with an EMT about emergencies and first responders, the urgency that prevails and people panicking, etc.

He said, "You'd be surprised. You can forget the simplest things when someone is dying in front of you."

I imagine the same goes for not thinking of something in the first place, and that it might also apply to you, yourself, if you were in such a situation.

It's why emergency personnel have always recommended posting your own address, phone number and nearest intersection/cross-streets by your phone in your home.

This incident is horrible, and almost unimaginable.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So his family should sue.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I would imagine if I owned such a car, it wouldn't occur to me to look up or ask anyone about how to unlock the car in such an instance. But the fact this guy left his dog in the car four hours does make me a little less sympathetic, whether he regularly checked on it or now.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Would have been a far better and unique story if the dog had survived and the man didn't. Still horrible though.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I have a little tool that I keep in the driver's side doorwell of my car that I can use to break out a window and it's also got a bladed notch that can be used to cut a seat belt strap in case of an emergency. An invaluable tool, and it would have saved this guy's life.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Damn straight. Lawsuits, and the fear of them, keep the powerful honest.

BTW, the woman in the McDonald's case has suffered third degree burns, had skin grafts and McDonald's had been warned in the past that its coffee was too hot. But don't let that get in the way of another cheap one-liner.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Work hard Baron, work hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted