1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man chooses not to pay fire protection fee, house allowed to burn down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RickStain, Oct 5, 2010.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

This can't be the right way to go about this.

I guess I'd be curious as to what percentage of homeowners with this payment option pay up in advance.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is so wrong on so many levels.

You bill the guy after the fact. If it's $4,000, so be it. Put him on a payment plan.

What if something or someone was alive in that house?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's kind of where I was at with this from the beginning. Firefighters are safety officials, not utility workers. It's not like they refused to pick up the guy's trash because he didn't pay his bill.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

So I pay the $75, and my house catches on fire. I call 9-1-1. Do they then look through a list of paid/unpaid addresses before they send out the trucks? And if so, how much time does that take and how much more burns?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You mean like the three dogs and a cat that were killed in the fire?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about fire departments, the cost isn't so much in responding to fires, its in the training, the upkeep and overall ability to respond to emergencies. Fire departments aren't like electricity, you turn it on when you need it, turn it off when you don't.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It's like insurance. If you let your car insurance expire, you can't get into an accident, roll up to the Geico offices and say, "Here is the premiums I would have paid to be covered, now pay up on the accident." He rolled the dice and sadly, he lost.

As long as the fire department ensured that the fire did not spread beyond the landowner's property and ensured that there were no people inside of the burning house, I am fine with them sitting there and watching it burn.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Actually many rural fire departments have gotten so much federal grant money, they are floating in cash. New trucks new gear. Many places have had problems with the local water system not being able to handle the demand of the new trucks.
    i just wonder how much grant money south fulton fd has gotten

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is true.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Lo siento, IJAG.

Do firemen go in after pets anyway?

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My town has special gear for animals on every truck. Oxygen masks designed to fit over snouts. They've also been trained in animal cpr

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I think this is the answer. Because I assume if you pay the $75 each year, that's all you pay. Period. So if it costs $100,000 in water, hours, etc. to put out the fire, you still only paid $75 a year. Nothing more.

If you don't pay the $75, you should have the option of paying the entire bill.

Draft saved Draft deleted