1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man chooses not to pay fire protection fee, house allowed to burn down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RickStain, Oct 5, 2010.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ditto that. My father served 50 years as a volenteer. I can't picture him sitting outside a house and watching it burn, espcially with a danger to other structures in the area. What if it was a farming commuity and the nearby structures were farms with livestock inside?

The guy offered to pay. This is a shitty situation for everyone. At the very least, I hope it bring to light the declining number of volenteer firefighters in this country.

[/stepping off soapbox]

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's all part of the plan.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The fact that he had paid in the past makes what the fire department did even worse in my eyes. Go put out the fire and charge him extra, but don't let the entire home burn down.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

But the roof! The roof! The roof was on fire!
    He said he don't need no insurance, so let the motherfucker burn.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Way to draft off my heat, Bat

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just takin' it to the next level, man.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The Obion County Fire Department says it's a shame something had to happen to this fellow's house. They offered him protection, but he wouldn't take it.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't think you have any "right" to fire protection. You pay for the service if you pay city taxes and hope you have a reliable volunteer department if you live in rural areas. He rolled the dice and crapped out.
    That having been said, seeing as how I'm the kind of person who helps out his neighbors, had I been there I'd have jumped in and done what I could.

One thing that did bother me once that I heard about our local city department... if you live outside the city limits (non-city tax payer) you can pay for city protection. If pay for the service and your house is on fire and the professional city fire dept is on the call and they get a call from a residence inside the city, they pull off yours and go to the other.

Now the chances of two places in our town being on fire at the exact same time are pretty remote, but if I had paid for the service for a number of years and the moment I call on it they blow me off, lawyers would be involved.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You would figure his homeowners insurance would have required fire protection.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The guy has to pay property taxes to some government agency, doesn't he? Why isn't this as simple as adding $75 to everyone's annual tax bill?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The city has no authority (he's not within their jurisdiction) and the county voted against it.

12. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Sad that it's come to this. Really.

The guy neglected to pay this year, and not purposefully. He was willing to pay to have the fire put out--likely more than the 75 bucks. He told the firemen as much as the blaze went on.

Draft saved Draft deleted