1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man carrying a rifle arrested at St. John's University

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Sep 26, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

One college near here freaked out since a hunter (probably accidentally) stumbled on campus.
    http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Report+of+armed+hunter+has+SNHU+community+on+alert&articleId=d91cbede-8741-4075-8681-20b5aa112b6f

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Doubt there are a lot of deer hunters at St. John's.

I'd be shocked if their was a college campus in the US that allowed any fireams in their dorms. Especially since most campus police forces aren't armed. Don't want the inmates packing heat if the jailers aren't.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Winn said he believes the student's story. Surveillance footage of the area behind Conway Hall confirms the student was outside smoking at the time of the encounter but does not show the hunter, he said. The camera does not record sound, he said."

Wonder what he was smoking.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't think St. John's has any dorms. So, I don't think a student just finished hunting in his George W mask and decided to return there.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There are a half dozen dorms on the campus.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

7. My heart came up to my throat when I heard about this. I went there and my brother goes there now and he was locked down in the UC for about 3 hours.

It's a tad ironic because when the Va. Tech shooting went down I immediately called my brother and told him he came to my mind when that happened. I told him to be careful because you never know what might happen. It's nice to hear campus security was able to hold this guy until police arrived. And this is not the first time something like this has happened at St. John's.

My senior year, I believe the first year of the dorms, a football player was shot in the back on campus late one night. Apparently it was a spillover from a fight at a nearby bar. In another case of irony, about a month earlier I had written a column question whether the campus was ready to deal with such a thing. The column was spurred by what happened at a college somewhere down south where a shooting took place. People thought I was out of line when I suggested the campus police be armed with guns or at least stunners. Funny how those same people asked me to be on a panel after the campus shooting on how to improve safety at the school. I'm a firm believer in the Boy Scouts' motto: Be prepared

8. boots

boots New Member

Might not be a lot of deer hunters in the St. John's area but there damn sure are a lot of people hunters.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

10. boots

boots New Member

The folks in queens would've fucked him up if given the chance.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

As someone who is born and raised in Queens and went to St. John's, I can tell you that the way that neighborhood has changed, no one would have done anything but duck for cover.

More to the point, it's not a show of toughness or manliness or whatever to challenge a mentally disturbed human being holding a gun.

12. boots

boots New Member

In the good old days, he was an ass kicking waiting to happen. And no it not toughness to challenge a mentaly disturbed human being with a rifle. Gotta put the guy down and ask questions later.

Draft saved Draft deleted