1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man boobs: A growing problem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I knew they could be embarrassing, but surgery? Wow...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/fashion/14reduction.html?8dpc=&_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all

In 2006, according to the group, nearly 14,000 boys age 13 to 19 underwent surgery to reduce the size of their breasts. That represents 70 percent of all the male patients who had such surgery last year, and an increase of 21 percent over the previous year for that age group.

In a culture that increasingly encourages young boys to be body conscious, demand for chiseled torsos and sculpted pecs is rising, so much so that the number of boys ages 13 to 19 who had breast reduction surgery last year is equal to the total number of all men who had the procedure just two years earlier, in 2004.
    Plastic surgeons in the United States suggested that the rise in popularity of professional golf may have also contributed to public awareness of gynecomastia; several prominent popular players have slightly enlarged chests. :eek: (I was unaware of this; guess I should pay more attention to the PGA)

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Paging Phil Mickelson....

3. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Too bad the Bro never went into production.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

MAN-zier!!

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

how about pushups? But I suppose that actually involves a little bit of work.

And....my son is growing some man boobs. He's 6 months old, at this rate he's going to look like Dolly Parton on his first day of Kindergarten.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's my boy...

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Moooooooooooooooooooobs.

9. KG

KG Active Member

Twenty years ago man boobs in high school boys wasn't as much of a target for teasing as it is now. Hell boys were always able to have 20-30 extra pounds and get away with it. No offense but they're just finally starting to get a taste of what it's like to be body conscious like girls are growing up. Except now girls are worried about being fat by the time they're like six years old. Now in highschool if a girl is within the "doctor recommended weight range" she's a fatty.

Ah hell, maybe I'm just jealous because I can't get plastic surgery too. ;D

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I should post the pics of the men of Nipplegate.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Disagree, KG.

When I was in middle school, I had one kid in the locker room asking me, "what are those"? I was overweight, and before puberty I had very big Mickelsons. My body has filled out a bit since then, but I still have some nice A cups to go along with the gut.

Kids who are different always have been subject to teasing.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If you do that, you'll really be dead. to. me.

Draft saved Draft deleted