1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man attacked on subway; bystanders do nothing to help

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WTF is wrong with people?

The story reports 10 people did nothing while this guy was being beaten with a hammer. And then did nothing to help him once the attacker left.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080909_Psycho_hammers_subway_passenger.html

Bonus WTF points for the attacker having his kid with him during the seemingly random attack.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Read the related story with the comments from the victim. Not only did people not help, someone actually picked up his cell phone after the attack, and then sold it for $150, according to the story.

Incredibly low and disgusting.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bunch of savages in that town.
    New Yorkers would have stopped the guy.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I don't necessarily send someone to hell for not going after a guy wildly w=swinging a hammer, though it certainly isn't a gun. If the guy was turned away from me... maybe.

The afterward behavior is obviously despicable.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's Philly. The guy's lucky he still has his wallet.

6. Inky_Wretch

Maybe? You'd sit there and watch a man get beaten to death rather than helping?

From the story, it appears none of the 10 bystanders even yelled "Stop" at the dude. That's despicable. And each one of those 10 would be upset if that was a family member or friend who'd been beaten and 10 others stood by and did nothing.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's Philly. I'm surprised the bystanders weren't cheering or throwing batteries at the guy.

People can say what they want about New Yorkers. I love New Yorkers. The lunatics are in Philly.

8. Inky_Wretch

1. There's no need to take things personally. I asked you a question. I didn't call you names.

2. You don't know what I would or wouldn't do. You wouldn't know, for example, that a few years ago I did intervene when a guy with a knife was accosting a man outside my favorite bar. Knife>hammer, so I wouldn't hesitate to try to help the victim in this case.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Once two guys grabbed a guy who was threatening me with a knife. Probably saved the dude's life. ;)

Not sure if one was Inky, though.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was riding a bus in Philly a few years back and after a guy got up out of one of the seats on the bus, a woman who was so pregnant she looked like she was going to burst, started to waddle toward the seat.

A grown man stepped in front of her and grabbed the seat before the woman could get there and then waved his finger in her face and said "F-You, c-word."

Lovely city.

11. Inky_Wretch

Go troll somebody else, Simon.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At least Inky is thinking about being brave, Cowpie.

Draft saved Draft deleted