1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man, 84, assaulted with Moon Pies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, May 25, 2008.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Some great lines in this story, including my favorite: "he spent time in jail for a similar incident a few years ago." What, he struck someone with a box of SnoBalls?

http://www.galesburg.com/news/x401623431/Man-assaulted-with-Moon-Pies-near-store

GALESBURG — An 84-year-old man told police he was physically assaulted outside Dollar General, 354 E. Main St., at 1:09 p.m. Friday.

The victim said he was in front of Michael Farquer 53, homeless, in line at the store. He had paid for his items and was leaving the store on foot when he felt something striking him repeatedly on the back. The victim said he turned and found Farquer striking him with an item inside a yellow Dollar General bag.

He returned to the store and asked a cashier to call the police, and Farquer followed him. Farquer then stood to the side, raising and shaking the bag while chanting, “Hi yuh.”

A clerk inside the store told police Farquer seemed agitated when she waited on him, and that he threw a dollar at her and followed the victim out of the store. She said Farquer owed the store 5 cents.

Farquer told police he didn’t remember attacking the victim, but he had spent time in jail for a similar incident a few years ago.

Police later determined the item inside the bag to be a $1 box of Moon Pies. The battered box was taken as evidence.

Farquer was arrested for battery and is being held in the Knox County jail.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

[​IMG]

Moon ... Pie. What a time to be alive.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thank goodness there wasn't an RC Cola bottle in the bag. He'd have hit the redneck daily double.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sounds like he's one crazy Farquer.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What an incredible story. And now I'm hungry for moon pies. Wonderful.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

One of the greatest combinations in culinary history

7. Moon Pies always make me think of The Green Mile.

"Hey Toot, give you a nickel for that moon pie."

8. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Where the hell is Galesburg?
    Never heard of that town.

Probably a good reason for that.

"Hi, where you from?"
    "Well, I'm from Galesburg."
    "Really? Where's that?"
    "You know, that town where old farts beat people up with Moon Pies."
    " ... Oh, umm ... yeah. I mighta heard about that. ... Wow, hey, I gotta go ... "

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Associate Moon Pies all you want with rednecks. But RC Cola? Them's fightin' words ...

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Other than Root Beer, there is no soft drink better with pizza than Royal Crown Cola.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

I've never thought of that, but I believe you are correct, sir.

I'll tell you what else is good ... Funyuns and Peach Nehi

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I'm going to guess Tennessee.

Draft saved Draft deleted