1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mamma mia!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jul 28, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

has been on the hbo channels the last two weeks. riddle me this: i hate abba. don't generally like musicals. but...

i'm strangely drawn to it. perhaps it's streep, who i'd watch washing dishes. but i'm enjoying it for what it is -- fun fluff.

have i lost my mind? ??? ??? ???

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Terrible movie. And I wanted to do terrible things to 2/3 of the adult male leads.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's what i mean. i'm even enjoying watching them try their darndest to bravely keep up.

maybe i HAVE lost my mind.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't see the movie. I did see the musical. Not an ABBA fan at all but I liked the show.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Not sure that's what she meant by terrible things.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty sure you're on different pages.

Poor Brosnan. Seems like a nice enough guy...can't sing a lick.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The play is awesome. The movie wasn't quite as good. Streep sang pretty good, tho you'd have to say she was slumming way below her league. The concept of Brosnan singing was abhorrent. The best part of either is the songs after the main part of the show is over, and the movie did only two songs, not the three the play does.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Brosnan singing was disastrous. And some of the songs were soooooooooo shoehorned into the "plot." Embarrassingly bad ...

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, that's the case in the play, too. At least the movie had a couple fewer songs, thus we were spared the embarrassment of Name of the Game being very badly shoehorned in.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's "good," but it is fun to watch.

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I have it on TiVo but I haven't watched it yet. I do like ABBA. I also know going into it that Pierce Bronson's singing sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted