1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mamma Mia!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Jul 18, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Huh? (not to you, to Time)

And the critical consensus on the movie was C+ on Yahoo. I thought it was better than that, like a B-. It wasn't the feel-good, stand-up-and-cheer experience the play was, but it was pretty fun once it got going.

Oops, up to B-. So I guess we agree.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you ever see any ABBA videos . . . Bjorn is the worst lip-syncher in the history of lip-synchers.

3. dooley_womack1

Does Your Mother Know is in it. And Christine Baranski makes it a better number than it was in the play.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Wow ... he's terrible. Then again, I was too busy watching Agnetha.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

When I lived in Australia, Abba was bigger than Kylie ... bigger than INXS ... bigger than Men at Work. Abba was a way of life for most every single Aussie I knew. Probably still is. I sometimes felt like an extra in "Muriel's Wedding."

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

PLAY I KNOW THERE'S SOMETHING GOING ON!!!

7. dooley_womack1

Yeah, so was Knowing Me Knowing You.

And Ginger, I sure the hell hope Abba is more popular than Kylie. Abba is a museum piece, the last surviving piece of Europop/Eurotrash from the mid-1960s to the mid-80s. And an excellent and tasty piece.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This movie is going to do well here, and already has.

It's going to do insane business in Europe.

Have no desire to see the movie. Saw the play a few years back and was surprised how much I liked it.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The review in the latest New Yorker is f'n priceless.

Google

Mamma Mia + Anthony Lane

and laugh your ass off.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just checked, it's made almost twice as much worldwide as it has in the US.

Casting Brosnan, Firth and Baranski is paying dividends...

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Or, go here

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2008/07/28/080728crci_cinema_lane

And laugh your ass off. Good grab, Ben.

I thought that Pierce Brosnan had been dragged to the edge of endurance by North Korean sadists in his final Bond film, “Die Another Day,” but that was a quick tickle with a feather duster compared with the agony of singing Abba’s “S.O.S.” to Meryl Streep through a kitchen window. Somebody, either a cheeky Swede or another North Korean, has deliberately scored the number a tone and a half too high, with visible results"

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

They keep playing the soundtrack in a Barnes and Noble that I frequent.

Draft saved Draft deleted