1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Mallrats" is horrible

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ArnoldBabar, Aug 6, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dead. To. Me.

That is all.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I find Jason Lee very funny, and Mallrats was where that started for me. It's obviously not a movie to take seriously, but it is a lot of fun.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, almost word for word. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was unwatchable, even with Shannon Elizabeth (there are better options for a Shannon Elizabeth fix).

Is Smith's dialogue always realistic? Absolutely not. Neither is a lot of what Aaron Sorkin writes (not that I put Smith quite on that level, but the same principle applies).

One more thing about "Mallrats." It features my favorite Stan Lee cameo ever. "I think your friend should get some help. He seems to be obsessed with super hero private parts" (Somebody please correct me if I'm remembering the lines wrong. It's been a while.)

Also, did somebody here mention what Claire Forlani was in her prime? Is she really past her prime? (Ok, I haven't seen her in anything in a while, but I'm assuming she's still hot.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Every time I ride an escalator, I text that to a friend of mine.

This move is not the best, like DC said, but it's far from horrible. Brody is not a normal person, so of course he's not going to have conversations no one else would have. I was able to get past that in the first five minutes he was on the film. God, this movie is funny. I might watch it when I get back home later.

Breakfast! Breakfast, shmeckfast. Look at the score, for God's sake. I'm only in the middle
    of the second and I'm winning, too. Breakfasts come and go, Rene. Now Hartford, the Whale? They only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice, in a lifetime.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"You know, I think you ought to get him some help. He seems to be really hung up on superheroes' sex organs. But he'll outgrow it."

6. Very close, I think, but he mentions what the score is after "I'm winning." It's something like 10-2.

7. As for Stan Lee, the best part is his reference to his challenge with Mick Jagger (wasn't it?) over who could sleep with more women and Lee's way ahead, or that he walks off in one direction, then goes in a completely different direction after Brody has one last exchange with him.

8. outofplace

Thanks mikey. I should have known you would come through.

edit: Demo, that part was great, too.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Claire Forlani is definitely still in her prime ... Mallrats, The Rock, Antitrust, and even in her CSI role recently ... she can still bring it.

And she would make a great Catwoman. [/crossthreading]

How does she go from dating Benicio del Toro, John Cusack and Brad Pitt to ... Ben Stiller?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet Stiller makes more per flick than Pitt, Cusack and del Toro combined.

11. outofplace

Really? Ben Stiller's charmed life continues.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Stiller has very quietly become one of the most bankable stars in Hollywood.

Even his bad movies (Night at the Museum) hit it big at the box office.

Draft saved Draft deleted