1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mall shooting in Omaha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 5, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

He only looks dead.

2. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I can't stand Fox News, but they sometimes pound CNN on breaking news. CNN has become a damned joke. They must have about six reporters on staff. I think Sanjay Gupta is their lead reporter for about 20 different subjects.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Omaha is a great town and I know a lot of folks there. My thoughts go out to them and I hope everyone is safe.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My thoughts are with the people of Omaha. They had something like this go down in Tacoma within the last year as well, young guy who had been dumped by his girlfriend etc. etc. I'm just hoping the nets don't try and make this some snapshot on what is wrong with America, guns, video games, culture, etc. If that was really the case, there would be a lot more of these types of tragedies.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

"Having just visited with so many members of the community in Omaha today, the president is confident that they will pull together to comfort one another," White House press secretary Dana Perino said, according to the AP.

----

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the implication is that the good citizens of Omaha will have to pull together to comfort themselves because Dubya isn't going to comfort them.

6. Oh, for God's sake.

I swear, if G-Dub said the sky was blue, a lot of people here would call him a moron because it's clearly red striped with purple polka dots.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a standard statement put out by a press office to show the people the Prez is in touch. I don't know what's worse, somebody thinking Bush actually told Perino, "ya know Dana, having met so many people in that community earlier today, I'm confident they will pull together to comfort each other," or ripping him for "saying" it.
    He's no better or worse than the reporter who parachutes into this story and describes the town or any town, as "close-knit."

8. Fox actually has more affiliates around the country -- I believe -- and can jump on stuff like this. I don't believe they actually have more reporters on staff than CNN.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have to reluctantly agree with you on that one Lyman. Folks, this is not about George f-ing Bush, ok? The statement was fine, even if the wording maybe wasn't the best.
    Let's not forget all the families which were devastated by this. I'm sure they take issue with the statement. ::)

10. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

George deserves all of the shit that's piled on him. And the quote was pulled in favor of something that didn't sound ridiculously bizarre, if not slightly insensitive. You'll find a new quote courtesy of Dana Perino, at least that's what I saw in last night's CNN story. They had replaced W.'s ignorant junk about the people of Omaha.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Anyone notice the name of the suspect? I hang my head in shame.

12. The WH pulled the quote?
    SportsJournalists.com will not be trifled with.

Draft saved Draft deleted