1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mall shooting in Omaha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 5, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In this country, facing the music in the criminal justice system too often means years of lawyers screeching at each other while judges who believe they were anointed by god himself and imbued with the wisdom of Solomon fail to deliver any justice. No one ever remembers the names of the victims, but the criminals live on infamously and more comfortably than their victims.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

In about six months, I won't even remember who the gunman's name is. I don't remember who the VA Tech shooter was and it's been six months.

They don't live in infamy, unless someone continues to bring their name up.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A pet peeve that I heard from a local TV anchor: She said that the shooter "turned the gun on himself." You can turn the gun on yourself, but you only shoot yourself if you pull the trigger. Along the lines of saying that somebody who is drunk "got behind the wheel." That's not a problem unless they drive.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Authorities have confirmed name of the shooter and is indeed 19-years old. Has been homeless for awhile until he was taken in by a friend's family in Bellevue. Was troubled for a long time, and had one minor run-in with the law.

The friend's mother told WOWT that he had lost his job around 1pm CST today, and sounded despondent. The kid's family lives in LaVista.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

George Bush visited Omaha earlier today. He has got to be the only guy in this country with less tact and sensitivity than me.

"Having just visited with so many members of the community in Omaha today, the president is confident that they will pull together to comfort one another," White House press secretary Dana Perino said, according to the AP.

6. It never ends.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Poin, what is wrong with that statement?

8. CNN used the opportunity to remind us about a vague -- but politically useful -- terrorist warning from three months ago.
    Be very afraid.
    Boogedy-boogedy!

9. markvid

markvid Guest

They also had to issue an apology for putting up a graphic saying the shooting was in Obama, Nebraska.

10. You have to be kidding.
    Ladies and gentlemen, The Most Trusted Name In News!
    Props, by the way, to Fox and Shep Smith, who had the shooter ID'd while CNN had Lou Dobbs yelling about poisoned toys and criminal Mexicans, and MSNBC had Matthews drooling.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

No joke, F_B.
    I'll try to find an image or something, I'd bet it's up within a day.

12. Ted Turner died in vain.

Draft saved Draft deleted