1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Malice at the Palace II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Canuck Pappy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They also reported this morning on first and 10 that Cheryl Ford was injured with a mild knee sprain.

She really tore her ACL, and is done for the season. It was pretty obvious that it wasn't a knee sprain when she was wheeled off the court. Interesting thing though, is Ford was wearing a knee brace on the left knee that wasn't injured. I wondered if she was favoring her good knee to avoid injuring the bad one when she tore the ACL on the good one.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Another update, Ford actually injured the knee with 2 minutes to go in the game. Then tweaked it after coming off the bench. Probably should have stayed on the bench.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

First thing I thought when I saw the clip as well. Too much professional wrestling.

Didn't think it was a malicious shove at all.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

If Mahorn had wanted to hurt, Leslie probably would have been wheeled off the court as well. Sure looked to me like he was trying to be a peacemaker.

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Yeah, because no one ever leaves the court in a wheelchair and turns out to be mildly injured. The team announced she had a sprained knee, and unless you have x-ray vision, it would have been hard to report anything else.

The knee brace on her left knee is because she had microfracture surgery after last season, and has been playing at well under 100% all season.

As for the timing of the injury, she went down with a couple minutes left, then came back into the game and wasn't obviously limping. While she was restraining Pierson, her knee clearly buckled and she went down. If they knew she had a torn ACL, they wouldn't have put her back in the game, so saying now they know it was torn the first time is just spin.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah well if you tore an ACL like I did you know that: A. Two minutes with a team doctor and or trainer and you know it the difference between a ligament tear and a sprain. B. Even with a badly torn ACL you can still walk and run; didn't Duece McCallister do this. C. There is a major school of thought out there that knee braces put your other knee at risk, because you are transferring most the weight and resistance to the good knee And when did the team announce it was a sprain? She had the MRI this morning which revealed the ACL tear.

More on how to look for a ligament tear. Sit on your but with your knees bent at a 45 degree angle. Have the doctor sit on the foot of the injured knee and pull it toward and away from the body of the injured body. The instability created by the torn ligament, especially if it is an ACL tear, is quite apparent to a trained professional.

7. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

A. Yes, which is why I question their assertion that she tore it with 2:30 to play, unless we think the trainer examined her at great length, realized she had a torn ACL and let her go right back into the game. If they did, it was a rather huge mistake, given what happened shortly afterward.

C. I don't doubt that at all - was just explaining why she was wearing the knee brace.

And they announced it was sprained immediately after the game, which is why it was reported that way this morning. I don't know where "mild" came from - the team just said "sprained knee".

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah. I find it hard to believe that she tore the ACL in the brawl. If you look at the twist and compare it to many acl tears that you see in sports like McGahee's or the basketball player from Pitt this year it just isn't consistent with the type of force she had on it. I don't know, if anything I'd say it was probably strongly damanged before, the other stuff didnt help. Once you tear a ligamament, you lose all stability which is why she could have twisted it out of nowhere. She may have turned a mild tear, into a complete shred of her acl.

Anyway, back to the brace, I still believe that knee braces really do have an adverse effect on your other knee. I know that in Europe doctors often don't prescribe scripts for knee braces because they feel the athletes will damage their other knees as they try to compensate for their injuries.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Count LameBeer von Floppage was calling for the wheelchair several steps before he even got to her. Entirely possible that he was milking it.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Suspensions galore... but Role Model was only given one game for throwing a punch...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080724/SPORTS04/80724067

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Think quite a bit of ourselves, don't we?? ::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted