1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Male or Female? Please pick one and stick with it.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pastor, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

NYTimes.com: New York Plans to Make Gender Personal Choice

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I know in some school systems they allow you to change your race in the official records on time.

So, if you are trying to get into a certain school and it might help if you are a minority, you might "accidentally" check the wrong box.

Once you are in, you can rectify the error and go about your happy way.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Uh, no.

Your gender is your gender. If you were given balls, you're a dude. And you'll always be a dude even if you want to wear a neon-colored pleather miniskirt, fishnets and stillettos.

If you don't want to be a dude anymore, get the surgery, get the treatments, but don't just change your birth certificate because you feel like it.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You mean even if you want to be a ... lumberjack? ;D

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

On a somewhat more serious side... The first thought that occurred to me on this was gay marriage. Could this be a way for Jim and Joe to marry without actually having a sex change?

Joe locates a sympathetic psychiatrist. This then enables him to switch his birth certificate to female. Now that he's classified as a women, he can get married to a man.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Pictures people. We need pictures.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess then we'll have to add "sympathetic psychiatrists" to the pantheon of evil, along with "activist judges."

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

and sleep all night and work all day?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent point, though I'm not sure if that was what they had in mind.

I hate to say it because it makes me sound very closed-minded, but this is bullshit. Gender is determined by what equipment you have, not how you feel. If you feel you need to change it, you should have to change the parts.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Actually, IIRC from Soc. class, sex is determined by equipment, gender by societal norms.

I think your point still stands.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Boy, they're really trying to backdoor this, aren't they?

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Gender and sex aren't the same thing. Your sex is what you are physically and your gender is what you feel you are. There's a big fucking difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted