1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Malaysia Airlines plane shot down over Eastern Ukraine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And 295 of them on a single plane. Nice of the enemy to consolidate them all onto one flight like that. Who knew all of the foreign intelligence services used Priceline?

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't understand any side would have to gain by shooting down a Malaysian plane filled mostly with Dutch passengers.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

There were 100 AIDS researchers on their way to a conference, doubt that it is a reason but I am sure it will contribute to some crackpot theory.

4. The "Why?" is simple. Either the commander who ordered the missile launch did not know it was a civilian plane, or if it did, it's an opportunity to cast blame on the other side.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yep. It's probably the former, but the latter is a tried and true formula, too.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's a lot of Teva sandals

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

David Ignatius was on Morning Joe a little while ago, looking for silver linings. It was quite odd.

He basically posited that the Russians shooting down KE007 "during the height of the Cold War" led to the Soviets reconsidering things, led to deescalation, and essentially the end of the Cold War.

Then he said that our shooting down IR655 in 1988 convinced the Ayatollah to "sue for peace" and led to a deescalation between our two countries.

This led him to be hopeful that this incident could have similar results.

I now fully expect Putin to hand back Crimea, and pull his troops and support from Eastern Ukraine.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

MSNBC seems to be booking its guests from the Fucking Moron Agency.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Same place that they get most of their hosts

10. YankeeFan

Considering he's an associate editor and columnist for one of the biggest, and most prestigious, papers in the country, I'm not sure what it says about your industry.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Now it all makes sense. The target was Putin. :D

http://www.inquisitr.com/1358339/report-vladimir-putins-plane-lapped-mh17-may-have-been-target/

12. YankeeFan

I love the idea that it couldn't be Russian "separatists" because they don't have the training to properly operate these kind of missiles.

Duh. They didn't operate it very responsibly in this instance.

But, let's also not pretend that Russian Special Forces are not on the ground, supplying arms to the separatists, and working closely with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.