1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Malaysia Airlines 777 has gone missing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Mar 7, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know which of those explanations (or another) goes best with the fact that the last time anyone knew of the plane it was en route to Vietnam (northeast of island) but government officials are searching the west coast of the island at least 200 miles away.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe they will find debris, but I still think the plane was intentionally splash-landed and sank intact. Why, we may never know. That's even worse for the passengers than a quick explosion at altitude.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I've been hanging around you folks too long because after reading this, I have a strong urge to post that "Aliens!" meme from History Channel

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Thought of that too. Really though on the list of explanations could be 6) Some kind of phenomenon that we can't comprehend or explain.

Or like Mulder said, When convention and science offer us no answers, might we not finally turn to the fantastic as a plausibility?

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Never been to Malaysia; haven't done any research on the terrain over the flight path. Is it possible the plane didn't come down in the water but against some remote mountainside? That wouldn't answer all the questions about this flight, but I'm wondering if the searchers are hundreds of miles off.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There is a theory it might have turned left and flown west for some time before crashing. So it could be possible, I guess.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe the plane is in Cambodia. The US Navy was able to make it there
    undetected.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I always wondered about this - why don't airlines just transmit and record all blackbox information so that it is immediately available following a crash? Turns out it is insanely expensive.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-10/malaysia-air-crash-why-do-airlines-keep-black-box-flight-data-trapped-on-planes

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That would be a first in the history of history then.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So, no Langoliers action then?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Perhaps cabin depressurization killed everyone on board, then it just drifted until it crashed, ala Payne Stewart.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Thought about that too. But it would have flown on for miles before it ran out of fuel and went down. And that doesn't account for it dropping off of radar.

Draft saved Draft deleted