1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Malaysia Airlines 777 has gone missing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Mar 7, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/08/us-malaysiaairlines-flight-idUSBREA2701720140308

Flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing lost radio contact somewhere off Vietnam. There are 239 on board.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Lots of rumors going on. I hope it's false.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Vietnamese and Chinese officials say it has crashed in the South China Sea.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Three American adults and an infant aboard, according to numerous reports.

5. old_tony

This is kind of eerie ... the Twitter feed of a guy who was supposed to be on the flight, but he and a traveling partner missed the flight.

https://twitter.com/KaidenDL

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Big topic where I work, since the flight was headed to Beijing. We got a text asking if we knew of any colleagues on board. I don't think so. We had a field trip today and the security guy was glued to his Blackberry.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

An odd quote in NYT article:

"Lt. Col. Pham Hong Soi, the head of the propaganda department of the Vietnam Navy for the region near the crash site, said that one rescue vessel had already been ordered to sea and two more had been made ready for departure."

If he is from the propaganda department can we believe him?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We call it "public relations."

Other countries are just a little more honest about their wording.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Steve Herman -- ‏@W7VOA 24m

Austria, Italy governments confirm 2 passports used to board #MH370 had been stolen.

10. old_tony

Those nuggets of information are in this story, but kind of buried in the latter portions of the story.

http://wapo.st/1ckqxkM

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Something does not seem right with the way the government was handling this, and the added possibility of stolen passports makes me think this even more.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Plane just vanishes from cruising altitude. No distress call, no word from the cockpit that anything is amiss, and even with both engines out, a plane ought to be able to glide for 15-20 minutes from that altitude.

I read reports of oil slicks but not of debris.

Draft saved Draft deleted