1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making your own breaks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alleyallen, Mar 13, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This thread comes from the discussion of Wright Thompson and others and this prevailing belief among some younger writers that if they could just get a break, they could do great stories like these "big-name" writers.

The problem is, they don't realize you don't need a break. You need to simply work hard to turn what some may view as a mundane piece into something that really gives the reader insight and emotion.

One of the best stories I've ever written (and pages I helped lay out) was when the traveling version of the Vietnam Wall made its first-ever stop in Huntsville, Texas. I made rubbings of the names of all the county people who are featured on the wall, interviewed their families (parents, siblings, ex-spouses, etc.) and wrote a piece with which I was incredibly happy.

And the only art on the entire front page was the rubbings of all seven names, stacked on top of each other, providing a very stark and jolting image.

Am I a big-time writer? No. But I'll gladly hold up that piece as one that I am very proud of.

You make your own breaks.

Draft saved Draft deleted