1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making the Sports Information jump

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NQLBLQ, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Eventually, I will try to find time to post a long answer here. I've been a reporter, editor and manager in newspapers and I've been an assistant AD/communications (the new title for sports information) for a bit more than a year.
    Both jobs have their plusses and minuses. But let me make one thing perfectly clear. Do not, do not, do not, do not, do not get into athletic communications because you think the hours will be better. DO NOT. They are not.

We're down a person in our office. He is not being replaced. Budget cuts are affecting this state, too. I am not going in for an 8 a.m. meeting today but I'll be at my desk before 10. I will work all day - have a program to finish, All-CAA promotionals to do and more. I will get on a bus about six and go to Philadelphia with our women's team (come by Drexel tomorrow night and say hi). We will get home about 2 a.m. Friday. I will be in the office Friday from about 10-6. Saturday? Final home game for the men at 4 p.m. We'll get there about 1, who knows when we'll leave? Sunday? Final home game for women at 2 p.m. We'll get there about 10. Who knows when we'll leave?

Monday is a full day in the office to update notes, write some stories for our Web on other sports (we have eight teams competing now). Tuesday I head to Atlanta with the women's team for the final game of the season. The men's CAA tournament is the next weekend. The women's tournament is the following weekend. I will be at both. Then comes postseason, which both our teams will make.

The hours are NOT better. I would not have done this job when I had kids at home. On game nights, one of my staff likes to slip out in the afternoon and have lunch with his wife (I guess that's what the kids are calling it these days). Might be the only time they see each other awake in a 3-4 day stretch. Guy does baseball. That is EVERY WEEKEND from now through the end of May.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Let's also remember that there are widely varying experiences within the SID business.

A former colleague became the SID at a Division III school and was pretty much a one-man department, with help from interns. At the same time, he only had two very small media guides to produce, one game program (football) and he lived a fairly peaceful existence in that regard.

On the other hand, he had to do the pre- and post-game shows on their basketball radio broadcasts as well as the halftime interview. He was also kind of a de facto assistant AD, troubleshooting a lot of minor problems on game days. He didn't work a lot of crazy hours, but he was pretty much on call constantly.

But he was in a nice small town, where the living was very reasonablly priced, and he got his three kids through college free. He called it the best move he ever made.

3. partain

partain Member

The way to go for many people might be as a communications person for a sports association. This will vary greatly from one association to the next, but that's the path I took for a few years. The last association I worked for had two major, week-long events a year that were put on by the national office. Those events often required me to work from 7 a.m. (earlier on days when the local tv morning show came out) to midnight. The good news is I didn't have to fight traffic going into or leaving the facility each day!

But other than those two weeks, I had an 8 to 5 job that required a few other weekend trips during the year. I wasn't completely chained to a desk, but I wasn't constantly on the road or at events either. Really seemed to be the best of both worlds for me. I also liked the variety of it—working on the website, putting together publications, being the media flak, etc.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

I mentioned earlier about the SID at a local FCS program who does very little and, from all appearances, has a "gravy train" going. But I also know, as well surely know, numerous SIDS who have no life because they are putting in 24/7 at their jobs. A close friend of mine who is an SID at a D-I school is constantly at work and at all odd hours. And even odder hours than what so many of us deal with as sportswriters. I did assistant SID work when I was going through college, then a little afterwards and I honestly enjoy the sportswriting role much more.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

"Better hours" these days might be relative.

Any hours are better than no hours, for example.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's not the quote function. See the button at the upper right of each post? Says Quote.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"That's not the quote function. See the button at the upper right of each post? Says Quote."

I see it. I know that when I use it, it gives me a bunch of unnecessary crap to edit out when I only want to quote one sentence or so.

A quick copy and paste is preferable to me.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And that's why you fail at the quote function. Among the crap you edit out is the attribution of the quote.

It's not that difficult to triple-click a line you want to remove and tap the Delete key. Please leave the rest ... including the computer coding. Little thing called etiquette.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Way to derail a thread about a topic several people, not just myself, are interested in, all in the name of arguing about message board etiquette. ::)

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

To be closer to our hometowns, I left an SID job at a mid-major D1 school to become SID at a junior college. A writer at a local paper asked me, point-blank, why I took a step down. When I explained to him that, with a new baby, we wanted to be closer to grandparents, he understood. At the D1, I had a full-time assistant and we handled 16 sports. At the juco, I was a one-man show with six sports. And the best part of the whole deal: I actually made more at the juco than at the D1.

12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I've worked full-time as a reporter and I once profiled my college's SID (D-II) for the local paper and yeah, the SID gig is definitely as tough if not tougher than working in newspapers. He is a one-man job aside from one guy who helps "when he can," plus a student or two, same deal.

Nuts man. Don't think I'd ever want to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted