1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making the Sports Information jump

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NQLBLQ, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just from the neck up. The rest is all me.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you're getting paid to be a huge homer, then that's fine.

Is it hard to wake up every day knowing you have a job you like? Yeah, probably. Or not.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

SID jobs are hard to get.

But they don't pay well.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Oh, and ours do.

5. Armchair_QB

Well no, but newspaper jobs have better hours.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"Well no, but newspaper jobs have better hours."
    :eek:

I don't even begin to know how to respond to that. How many "ha"'s in "bwahahaha..etc."

7. Armchair_QB

I keed. I keed.

But SIDs do work pretty shitty hours. Especially at small schools.

If you think you'll finally have an 8-5 job if you become an SID you're kidding yourself.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know if the hours are better, but there are lots to choose from.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Same thing in that job, and a reasonable interview question. In a large PR agency, perhaps a writer could just write, but that seems hard to imagine in any non-profit.

The college publicist -- SID or otherwise -- is not just responsible for writing but for pitching stories. And, in an environment where newspapers are an endangered species, it seems reasonable to ask how a candidate would propose pitching stories.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

At a previous stop my apartment was close to a good-at-most-sports private D-3 school. I went to a bunch of games/events in my off times, and the SID and his main assistant were there, all the time. Then he'd send in press releases, call about signings/hirings and do stats on Sundays. It's a lot of work for a relative little amount of money. Even the assistant SID at Cal, in charge of football with a staff of 2-3 below you, makes only about 50K.

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=3076900

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The premise of this thread strikes me as ridiculous, like saying, "Oh no, thanks, I'll wait for the lifeboat that has cup holders."

If your biggest concern in today's world is feeling like a "huge homer," you have effectively managed most stress out of your life.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Maybe you should stop laughing. A_QB is correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted